Paris sights


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
May 13th 2011
Published: May 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Our plan for ticking of the sights was one or two each morning, a lunch break then shopping for the afternoon. It worked really well as we ended up in a different area for shopping each time. We covered off Louvre, Notre Dame, Arc de Triomphe, Montmartre, Sacre Coeur, Pompidou and a river cruise. We also went to a Lido show one night, and another night to Trocadero for a night viewing of the Eiffel tower.

All these sights were busy with tourists but we didn't have to queue for more than five minutes anywhere which was much appreciated. The hawkers were out in force at every location. There were portrait drawings, friendship braids, gambling magic tricks, and music performers at Sacre Coeur, glowing whirlygig things at Trocadero and Eiffel towers, scarves, and handbags everywhere.

The Notre Dame was quite impressive. Firstly for the huge quantity and detail of the carvings on the outside of the building. Then on walking through the church coming to the first view of the rose window. The sheer size and colour was amazing. The cameos of all the popes through history was interesting, as was a bone (from a pope?) in a glass sided mini coffin, in the treasury part of the church. The experience had an extra element of a mass being held, while we were walking around.

The Louvre is absolutely huge, so we only covered the key sights – probably covering 1-2km of walking inside (after having already walked all the way there from the apartment via Gare Lyon). Another half marathon day I’m sure. The most impressive sights were Napoleons apartments – just so elaborate and luxurious, and the museum itself was lovely to walk around with its nicely proportioned spaces, clean white marble, and elaborately frescoed ceilings. The huge size of some of the paintings was incredible.

The river cruise was enjoyable in the sun. The variety and beauty of all the bridges was best appreciated from this angle I think. A few bridges that had netting sides were covered with locks that lovers had left. Very romantic.

The best shopping was around the Pompidou for arty gifty type things, Rivoli for the chain stores, Department stores for top end labels (not us) – although lovely to browse through, Rue de Bac for funky modern and traditional furniture shops, and boutiques, and our neighbourhood (11th district) for boutiques.



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

rose windowrose window
rose window

at Notre Dame


Tot: 0.78s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.4996s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb