Paris #3 A Day at Le Louvre & Farewell Paris


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
May 6th 2011
Published: May 6th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Outside Le LouvreOutside Le LouvreOutside Le Louvre

After being closed on our first attempt to visit, it was great to finally get in line to explore this famous museum & some of its more famous contents. Le Louvre has about 11km of corridores of displays - we were lucky to have seen half of it !
Our final day in Paris with Ian & Marlene was spent at Le Louvre, a must for all who appreciate the skill of artists, the beauty of masterpieces, the wonder of ancient works and the creativity mankind has been blessed with - well, some of mankind I suppose.
This massive building was once a home/palace - as time went by, and new noble tennants moved in, it was added to - which is reflected in changes in the architecture as you move west to east.

Hope you enjoy this final blog from Paris - we hope to have some interesting shots from our adventures in the Bourgogne region of France, soon.

Love from Jan & Garry


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Napoleon's Dining RoomNapoleon's Dining Room
Napoleon's Dining Room

We began our 'day' at The Louvre in an area that displayed the decor of the 'Apartments' of Napoleon III. Again, the camera doesn't do justice to the scene.
Mona Lisa's FansMona Lisa's Fans
Mona Lisa's Fans

As we approached the room holding this famous girl, the crowd increased - then the fight to get a glimpse started. Cameras in the air also made it difficult to see.
Louvre's LargestLouvre's Largest
Louvre's Largest

Right behind the Mona Lisa throng hung the largest painting in the place, 'The Wedding Feast' - where Jesus turned water into wine. Wonder how many missed it?
Mona LisaMona Lisa
Mona Lisa

A bit rough when you can't get within 3 metres (fence & guards), plus she's embedded in a display wall behind glass - thus reflections. But, great to have experienced the hype.
More MastersMore Masters
More Masters

There were so many great art works that we somehow recognised, or that I (GR) had studied at high school - we marvelled also at their size and the mood that many portrayed.
Electronic Tour GuideElectronic Tour Guide
Electronic Tour Guide

So glad we rented the portable tour guides. Punch in an item number and get an interesting commentary, or find your location. Provided much more info. than the labels & plaques.
Ancient EtruscanAncient Etruscan
Ancient Etruscan

Except for the 'head' this statue, from the area of ancient Persia, was 5000yrs old - as were many of of the display items.
Ancient EntranceAncient Entrance
Ancient Entrance

This gate/entrance decoration was removed from a site and reconstructed here! - with some renovation due to age issues.
Cheeky StatuesCheeky Statues
Cheeky Statues

The female statues in the Greek area had real 'attitude' and no sense of shame - look what I caught one of them doing when she thought no one was looking!
AthenaAthena
Athena

There was a real beauty and warmth to many of the Greek works in this area - a nice change from the murder & mayhem that was the subject of many early masters.
Three PhilosophersThree Philosophers
Three Philosophers

Three famous guys - heads only - Plato, Aristotle and Socrates.
VenusVenus
Venus

Much better than the text book pictures - the Venus de Milo. A less frantic crowd gathered around her and I soon got this shot with, Ian, Marlene & Jan.
MichelangeloMichelangelo
Michelangelo

Though the famous 'David' is in Italy, the incredible impact of his work was reflected in several of his less well known works here. After 5 hours, we were done. But, what a day!
Last day in ParisLast day in Paris
Last day in Paris

After farewelling Ian & Marlene in the morning we went walking to souvenir land near the Seine & joined the masses searching for memorabilia.
Farewell ParisFarewell Paris
Farewell Paris

After 6 great days we picked up the hire car - loaded the GPS with our new address, and headed south east for the Bourgogne Region & Beaune.
Smooth TripSmooth Trip
Smooth Trip

Once on the toll road (A6) that was it until the Beaune exit. Cruising at 130kph - legally - we covered the 300km in about 3 hours - lush, green countryside all the way.


6th May 2011

Louvre
It is a week since we left but the pics bring it all back so clearly - good to have the record.
15th May 2011

Where are you now ?
Disappointed not to have another blog to see...must be good in the french countryside!

Tot: 0.196s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1662s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb