Parting Notes/Paris


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
December 6th 2009
Published: December 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post




Additional photos below
Photos: 1, Displayed: 1


Advertisement



6th December 2009

great photo! wow
6th December 2009

Impressions after 5 weeks in Paris
A city of beauty and monumental magnificence. A city where one cannot help but become blase about the incessant begging and untreated psychiatric disorder. Whereas one needs to learn the politesse of behaviour in the shops (about which Liz has written so eloquently in a previous installment), one must also become patient with an opposing phenomenon. I speak of the constant bumping, shoving and lack of deferral in public spaces. This is exemplified by Parisians stopping in their tracks on a crowded sidewalk instantly creating a logjam. Or Parisians racing to the turnstile and cutting you off as perhaps he/she may miss the perfect connection.... though there really is no big rush....another train will be along in 4 minutes or less (so superior to the NYC metro!). Or the Parisian, obviously aware that we are a couple, diving in on the subway train to deny us one of two seats only to exit at the next station. Or the constant lack of deferral on approaching us on a street with never a hint of ceding passage. By the end, I was finding some strange pleasure in plowing through crowds just like all the rest, finding comfort in bouncing off one body to the next. But then there are the pleasures of feeling, for a moment, Parisian as, no longer map in hand, we trundle the boulevards and avenues in complete confidence of where we are going. Or, on Saturday evening at the most crowded metro entrance imaginable (hordes of tourists trying to figure out how to pass through turnstiles with their carnet), circumventing the herd by passing through the turnstile reserved for Navigo holders (ie, Parisians or at least residents of Paris) and proceeding effortlessly. We had a lot of fine adventures. But now it really feels like it is time to move on. Adieu Paris.
6th December 2009

WRONG
Dear Liz, Only a picture came through for me. and Barb couldn't get anything. Wonder where you guys are now. love, Vera
6th December 2009

WRONG
Now I realize that perhaps the picture is meant to say a thousand words. It does!
6th December 2009

Cruel contrast indeed
Outstanding photo, Liz. Thank you for sharing the 'other' side of the Champs Elysee and jolting us back to reality. It is definitely not all glitter. Ron, you wrote so honestly about your real experiences in your comment. May you both have many more adventures to come on this incredible journey. Bon Voyage! With Love and great big hugs, Miri
7th December 2009

bala-asana
Wow, I didn't know they offered yoga classes on the Champs Elysee. That is a rather poor example, however, of the classic "child's pose". Now if someone stopped on the boulevard and did this: (http://www.sunandmoonstudio.com/Poses/PosePics/locust.jpg) I would be truly impressed. (okay, okay, just a bit of irreverent humor). By the way, I know another city full of incessant beggers and untreated psychiatric disordered derelicts and just poor homeless creatures..........Santa Monica, CA. You should have seen all the Neosporin kids on the Third Street Promenade when we lived there.
7th December 2009

Terrific update...where are you off to now?
9th December 2009

Ron, what a great description and very eloquently written. WHERE TO NOW?
10th December 2009

so interesting!
Keep ém coming. Just seeing blue sky here, after constant rain in November, is devine. I like the comment: there is no bad weather, just wrong clothing.

Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 20; qc: 104; dbt: 0.0905s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb