Day 11 - Paris - MontMartre


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
August 16th 2009
Published: August 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This leisurely Sunday began with a stroll up MontMartre.

We started from the famous Moulin Rouge, where we will be returning tonight for dinner and the show, and walked up Rue Lepic passing some famous landmarks of the area. We stopped at a cafe near the top for a drink and some people watching.

Further along we found a market with artists selling their wares and services. We accepted the invitation by one to sketch our pictures while we stopped for a coffee at the local cafe. His efforts produced an interesting likeness, a unique memento of the day, and 100 Euro for him. A bloke selling post pack tubes appeared on cue and we parted with more cash to ensure our artwork got home OK.

Beyond the market lies the church which overlooks the city. The Basilica of Sacre-Coeur is beautiful, we entered the precession of tourists walking through the church whilst a service was in progress, which felt a little strange, but we kept quiet and appreciated the architecture, sculpture and stained glass. The view from the steps in front provide a wonderful view of Paris below as this is the highest point in the city.

A cable tram took us down the side of the hill and we decided our next stop should be the Arc De Triomphe, which is an imposing sight up close. We chose not to join the long lines to climb inside and to the top, not because of the line, but because my feet couldn’t take another long flight of stairs after the walk up MontMartre. :-) Instead we looked around the base and marvelled at even more sculpture.

Tonight we go to a dinner and show at the Moulin Rouge which should be wonderful.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0273s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb