Chanteloup-Les-Vignes


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
June 30th 2009
Published: July 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

LV_9875LV_9875LV_9875

From our window at Domaine Saint Paul
Arrived at Lyons-La-Foret on Friday 12th June 2009 after 3 days of very changeable weather. Pouring rain and spray from the trucks made traveling very difficult, thankfully our wipers kept working.

We were the first to arrive at Domaine Saint Paul, a lovely hotel in beautiful surroundings on the outskirts of Lyons-la-Foret. After breakfast on Saturday and after fitting a new inner tube to our front right tyre which went flat overnight, the rest of the cars started to arrive. Eight Lagondas were present; 1100 and 1500 cc Rapiers, 2 litre 3 litres and 4.5 litre. Other wonderful cars include a Salmson, two Rosengarts (one sport and one sedan) a 1927 Lombard (which later broke down), two Hispano Suizas and 6 Wolsley Hornets including Lorna Mountford's powder-blue convertible, with Lorna and car beautifully turned out for the occasion. There was also a 1925 Sanford 3-wheeler (with a beautiful cicada ornament in the grille), a 1922 Amilcar CS, a 1925 Delage DISS, a Leon Paulet (1926 I think) also beautifully turned out in maroon, an Alvis Speed 25 1936 and Kip's Austin 7 with a fascinating handbrake (see picture). There was a Dauphine 1963, also Rileys, MGs, Jaguars and a handful of other classic cars to round out the interest.
We all participated in the cavalcade through the most beautiful and flower be-decked village to the start of the Lyons-le Foret hill climb, where each car had the chance to scream, blat or chug up the hills three times before meeting in the town square for drinks and chats. The cars were just parked anywhere in the square amongst the cafes and shops, and also in the middle of several roads that led to the square. It was the most wonderful and eclectic collection of cars to wander around.

Lunch followed back at the hotel and then the 90 km journey to Chanteloup was to begin at 3 pm. The course notes were stick maps and of course there were a few wrong turns taken. Bernie and Helen came upon a wedding at the Chateau St Cyr and the bride and groom had their photo taken in the Eagle body Lagonda Rapier.

The journey ended in a small car park area for drinks, but we were too tired, so drove in, drove out and off the hotel with only minutes to spare for a shower and change before the bus picked us up for dinner. The restaurant was beside the river with huge barges plying up and down. The entertainment was a charming chanteuse who sang lots of favourites, including some Piaf.

The next day the cars made their way to Chanteloup where we all parked beyond the town square in a car park. There were several bikes, (a Vincent, a BSA, a bike and side car) and a fabulous racing car called a Lambert Bol D'Or 1949 driven by Mr Guy Lambert himself. The townsfolk and competitors mingled and took photos of the line-up waiting to go up the hill. The car park was full of children attempting to negotiate a ride up the hill and some were successful. It was hot in the line-up, but much cooler up the top where there were drinks and cakes for sale. The hill was lined with well-wishers and everybody clapping and cheering us on.

At 4 pm all the teams gathered in front of the townhall and prizes were given out. Every team was given a basket of goodies including a berret and a bottle of red wine. How civilised!



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

RosengartRosengart
Rosengart

French Austin 7 built in St Brieuc
Leon PauletLeon Paulet
Leon Paulet

Very rare
Rapier 1934Rapier 1934
Rapier 1934

Original Bertelli body
Lagonda Rapir 1934Lagonda Rapir 1934
Lagonda Rapir 1934

Replica Eagle body


17th July 2009

owyrgowinmateorite
haven't had much access to internet for long time but back home now. travelling too much with work your mum wants to comment on your entries and i'm tying to help with this now. can't access emails cos can't remember p'word
18th July 2009

hi
Looks bloody great.I have just today worked out the blog thing. I did look at the start of your trip but not since. So many wonderful cars and crazy people. The 24 hour was a few weeks ago, the 2 litre didnt go so well but have colder plugs now so its good. Bru helped me on the side of the road with good advise and humour.The Chrysler will wait for your return, I have a head gasket from NZ. How will you settle back to normal life after all this internatonal touriong?All the best for a safe next part of your trip. Say hello to the other Aussies.Did you see my old Rapier and the owner Raymond? Regard and good wishes. Roger

Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0499s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb