Paris continued


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
June 22nd 2008
Published: July 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Merely the entranceMerely the entranceMerely the entrance

The collection of weapons was simply awesome here!
On the first day of Paris I really enjoyed biking around and seeing the major sights. For the next few days, I wondered around and decided to take my time at some major attractions. I'm combining a couple of days on this entry, and in this one I went through the tomb of Napoleon, the History Museum and most interesting, the French Catacombs.

The history museum was very impressive with its collections. I have never seen so many ancient weapons, going from France's feudal era, until the modern World Wars. What was very interesting was how well preserved many pieces were. Going through the entire museum, it did a great job of showing the evolution and levels of sophistication in terms of weaponry. Many times I just sat and took pictures, for I have ideas of creating some pretty nice power points for future class lectures. Many of the pictures explain better then I can what can be seen, so I won't go on about the museum.

Next was the tomb of Napoleon. This was defiantly different. Never before have I been to a modern (within the past 200 years) building and felt like it was a historical temple.
Courtyard to the MuseumCourtyard to the MuseumCourtyard to the Museum

Within all of these walls lies a vast amount of historical tools of persuasion!
With this place, you have a feeling of being in a holy or sacred area, yet, it's not like it is from an ancient civilization. One thing is for sure, the French are very proud of Napoleon, and the only resting place I have seen so far to rival this place are the pyramids. The work and beauty once again of this structure represented France well.

Last and perhaps the most interesting was the Catacombs. The quick history is that Paris was growing rather fast back in the 1700's, and living space was getting in high demand. To meet the needs, it was decided to transfer the cemeteries beneath ground where mining had and was taking place. At first the bones were simply thrown in piles according to where they came from. Later on, it was decided to rearrange the bones in a more 'creative aspect.' Here, bones were stacked and arranged on the outside, and then the remaining bones were thrown behind. At times when taking pictures I brushed up against the walls, and it did feel a bit creepy. At times I was literally by myself, and I did feel a bit relieved that this maze was
The most beautiful canon ever?The most beautiful canon ever?The most beautiful canon ever?

A close up, with every part of the canon having detail like this.
restricted to certain walking areas. In the beginning of being created, I could see how easy it would be to get lost in this place. This place would definitely make the best Halloween party location ever! I could see some good music, dancing areas, and everyone feeling a bit perhaps too much in the Halloween spirit.

After a couple days of seeing these attractions, enjoying the walk to these places (because where ever you look in Paris there is something to enjoy) and more great crepes, I had come to enjoy Paris more. When it comes to being in a place like this, make sure you have comfortable shoes, and that you take your time in doing what ever it is your doing. A city with so much history and culture sets you up for getting lost and serendipitous adventures!



Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Heavy means of enforcementHeavy means of enforcement
Heavy means of enforcement

These early canon balls were about 2 feet high.
A royal swordA royal sword
A royal sword

Only decorational, but still a nice piece!
A very interesting gunA very interesting gun
A very interesting gun

It was pretty impressive to see the display and growth of guns. Some of course were quite unique!
Modern day weaponaryModern day weaponary
Modern day weaponary

One of the earlier machine guns
WW II soldier equipmentWW II soldier equipment
WW II soldier equipment

Here are all the necessary items given to a soldier.
The BBC microphoneThe BBC microphone
The BBC microphone

The BBC was created to broadcast truth, as opposed to the rhetoric under Hitler's regime.
Entrance to NapoleonEntrance to Napoleon
Entrance to Napoleon

This was only one door, standing about 30 feet tall. I got in trouble for touching one.
Walking from one site to the nextWalking from one site to the next
Walking from one site to the next

Here I am in front of a monument to Joan of Arc. History is every where here!
Dose of realityDose of reality
Dose of reality

Within all the glamor though, there still exists people over looked and forget


Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0625s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb