Impressions, Scary Organ music, and a Hunchback


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
July 4th 2008
Published: July 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Bonjour!
Today today. Today we woke up a teeensy bit late, but we started up right away. We headed to the Musee d'Orsay, Paris' famous Impressionistic/Post-Impressionistic art museum. On our way, we stopped by Shakespeare Books by the Seine across from the Notre Dame... there were quite a few oooold books. Neat!
The Musee was pretty amazing. It was easier to handle than the Louvre (which is HUGE). There were there flights of painting, sculpture, and some photos too (deguerrotype hooray art history yay).
We saw quite a few Manets and Monets, Renoirs and Degas, Van Goghs and Pissaros and Seurats and Cezannes and Courbets and whatnot. I wish I could post pictures so you'd know what we saw...
Oh, we saw Whistler's mother too.

Afterwards, we chowed on a little lunch, then headed to the... yes... Moulin Rouge! There was a large red windmill (wonder why). We couldn't really go in though... you needed a reservation. Though, we did visit some of the surrounding shops and talk to some of the locals (in multiple languages!).

Next was a walk to the Sacre Coeur, which is a large church on top of a hill. Nice! It's a beatiful white building. When we walked in, there was a mass going on... a nun (I believe they're called that) was singing a prayer in a beautiful voice, and at the end of each line the entire building would join in. It was quite a sight. But after that song, some quite epic/scary/awesome/loud organ music began... it was time to leave.

We headed around the corner to a little square full of artists. Charicatures, portraits, and landscapes... you name it, they had it. Lots of pallet knife painters... neat stuff.

We rolled down to Notre Dame afterwards and admired the beautiful stained glass windows and High Gothic architecture. There was a transept. And a nave. And flying buttresses. Yeah. We sat for another mass type thing... prayers were sung.

Today seemed short, but it was tiring. We headed home sweet hostel and, for dinner tonight, we bought some bread, butter, cheese, olives, and cocktail hot dog thingies and made our own dinner in the kitchen. Yum. Nice! Yeah!

Today was a success. We're tired now. Time to go out.

Quote of the day: Parker: "Holy crap she spoke Italian!"

Advertisement



Tot: 0.208s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb