Rome to France


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
June 9th 2008
Published: June 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Francis of Assisi Basilica is quite ornate for such a simple man. The paintings are quite simple, and his tomb is very simple.

First impressions of Rome are not good. som much graffiti and old buildings in amongst the new. We are warned over and over again about the gypsys who are the best pickpockets, especially where we were staying. Then we take the tour into Rome to see the Trevi fountain and have dinner. on our way, we seesome of the older sites of Rome, including the exact place that Julius Caesar was killed and his old palace /castle. Trevi fountain is amazing. It is much bigger than we expected. Everything Here seems to be. Photos don't do it justice. Then on to dinner. We always seem to be eating and not many veges in sight. Appetiser = rockmelon, proscuto, & bruscetta, then the pasta course. Firstpasta with sauce, then lasagne - a piece as big as I would eat for my whole meal.
Next, salad and then the mains, two small pieces of steak with fried potatos, then gelato with chunky berry sauce. This started at about 8.30, and as each plate is finished, another one is put infront of you. We also had a guitarist and flutist that played for us, and the waiter gave every woman a rose - for a kiss of course. He is italian. Back home, and the bus is egged by the locals. The hotel owner said it was one way of the gypsies distracting us while they steal from us. Not this time.

Then we are back to Rome. We have a local guide who provides a block between us and a pair of gypsies. Then he shows us the coliseum up close. Inside right where it all happened. Then some other 2000 year old ruins (the forum), before going to the Vatican City. I can't believe Jesus was around these buildings. Vatican city was unbelievable. First, to the Vatican museums, where the ceilings are painted, mostly with religious scenes, and the first hall is full of valuable sculptures. The next room, full of wall sized tapestries, which are being restored by nuns. Next stop Sistine Chapel. Silence and no photos. How will I cope?
It is spectacular. Afterward we went through St. Peter's Basilica. They actually have the bodies of a couple of popes in glass cases here. They are clothed and have a mask on but it is amazing.
Next stop, home, where we have our own dinner - pizza.
After watching our backs we walked to the local shop, where you choose the size of piece of pizza, and it is weighed. Only paid about $2. It was really nice.

An early start for pompei. These buildings are over 2000 years old but still have modern things like pedestrian crossings, grafitti, and inside plumbing.

Next stop Sorrento. Sorrento actually has a target store. We drove past and I couldn't find it again. I wanted to ask if I could get a staff discount here. THey closed the streets to cars, and there were people everywhere. Next morning, off to the Isle of Capri, where all the rich go to play.
Of course we didn't see any. We caught the funicula to the top for magnificent views and a $10 cappucino and hot chocolate where the spoon stands up, it's so thick. After lunch, another gelato, and a swim in the beautiful blue sea. Hard-going on the beach, it is all smooth rocks, small pebbles, to rocks the size of a loaf of bread. They do provide deck-chairs if you buy something in the cafe.

Back up through Italy for a visit to Florence. We started at a leather factory. Six of us decided to try and line up to see Michel-Angelo's real "David" in the museum. We had to run becasue we only had 45 minutes to get a 15 minute walk there and back, and line up and see it. A fastpace there. A line down the road and around the corner. A quick but amazing look at David and a sprint back to the group for our walking tour of Florence. We just made it.

Dome (Church) was amazing. The whole outside was decorated in red white and green marble. Much more ornate than the inside. Some of the buildings date back to 1100s. Leonardo da Vinci painted the Mona Lisa in a flat here. Anyway, I went to Pisa, the amazing leaning tower.
The church and baptistry are all pretty amazing in themselves, but it is the leaning tower and all the people taking photos trying to hold it up, push it over, hug it, or lift it that is the draw card.
It is much smaller, and more delicate than I thought.
The stairway inside is quite narrow, and you can feel it lean. You feel like you are going to fall on the person next to you. The middle is solid wall, with just a staircase around it. At the top, the giant bells. It must have been the bell tower. It was built in three stages, with 100 years between each. The first three floors were already leaning when they were built, but they completed it anyway.
Next Cannes and Monte Carlo, the French Riviera. Yipee!

Advertisement



13th June 2008

miss you guys, we are glad you are having a good time :) we have moved to bluehaven now. we hope the rest of the trip is good. love vanessa :)
15th June 2008

Hi world travellers
Got your postcard on Thursday so did Jarran, sounds wonderful, printing your Blog out now to take to coffee on Tuesday, missing you, but not wishing you back in a hurry, I mean that in the nicest possible way(I dont think I'd want to be back in a hurry either!!!!)

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.037s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb