A Rainy Weekend in Paris


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
March 19th 2008
Published: March 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

3 full days, 5 nights in Paris...and I must go back one day! I absolutely loved Paris, even in the rain!

The Eiffel Tower was breathtaking, and picnicking on the lawn in front of it one evening while Parisian kids ran around with soccer balls and sticks was a surreal experience. We went out to the lawn with our baguettes, brie, pickles, peanuts, and champagne, and toasted Paris in delicious style. Then we waited for the sun to set so we could watch it light up and glitter.

We got into the Louvre for free and saw the major stuff such as the Mona Lisa, Venus, Nike, etc. I have to admit though that the first thing I thought of when I saw the glass pyramids in the square was The Da Vinci Code. How strange to actually be able to see exactly what was described in the novel!

At Sacra Cors, or Sacred Heart, we got to hear the nuns singing beautifully for their perpetual devotion. The church was amazing, and a lot of Parisians just hang out on the steps on the way up the hill to it because it affords amazing views of the city.

We visited the Latin Quarter (called so because one day not too long ago a bunch of people decided to only speak Latin) and found a very cool university neighborhood that kind of made us want to go to school there.

The food was amazing: fresh baguettes and pastries, cheese, onion soup, etc. I didn't even miss Italy's pasta!

We took a day and went to Versailles, which was gorgeous. No one knows how much it cost to build because King Louis XIV didn't want the public to find out so he had the records burned! We didn't get to walk around the gardens because of the cold, wet, extremely windy weather but we still got a nice taste of French luxury at the time that America was just getting started.




Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

The front of Notre DameThe front of Notre Dame
The front of Notre Dame

There were some crazy fire street performers hanging out here at night.


28th March 2008

this looks soooo cool! it looks like you are having so much fun!

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 47; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb