Last day in Paris


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
September 20th 2005
Published: February 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

CatacombesCatacombesCatacombes

A section of remains where a love heart had been fashioned from skulls.

Amanda


The highlights from today for me were visiting the Catacombes, Sainte-Chapelle and the Dali Exhibition. We also did a whirlwind tour of a few other touristy places.

The catacombes were really freaky. Walking through corridors piled high with the bones of millions of dead Parisians is the kind of experience that makes you realise how fragile we human beings are. There were many inscriptions (in French of course) throughout the quarry tunnels that told of how at any moment death could be upon any one of us.

Sainte-Chapelle has been referred to as “a gateway to heaven” and it certainly was very beautiful. The photos can’t really compare to the experience of being there. The top floor of this church has 15m high stained-glass windows that depict biblical stories separated by very thin columns of stone.

And Dali… one of my favourite artists - if not a little peculiar. This when Travis told me that he officially didn’t “get” art. But then surrealism presents a really warped view of things so I’m not too discouraged.

Unfortunately, we didn't get a chance to see a show in Moulin Rouge... maybe next time we are in Paris -
Sainte-ChapelleSainte-ChapelleSainte-Chapelle

Absolutely stunning
LOL!

Tomorrow is a bright and early start to travel to London - our last destination!

Travis


Ok, we know we're 5 months late posting this but better late than never, right? right? Maybe we'll even finish it one day...

Let's see... the catacombes were definitely the highlight for me... quite eery... all those people who now have their bones arranged in patterns 😊 ... also confronting... I think it's good to face your own mortality from time to time though...

Sainte-Chapelle was amazing... As Amanda said, photos just don't capture it...
Oh, and Sacrè-Coeur yesterday was lovely... up until the moment we got asked to leave because we weren't supposed to be taking photos... oopsy.. missed the big sign. 😊

Dali... hmmm... not my sort of thing... very "out there".

About our last piece of sightseeing in Paris was the Place de la Concorde... where some famous French dudes got their heads lopped off during the revolution... including Louis XVI and Marie-Antoinette...
Situated near the Louvre you can see Arc de Triumph and the Eiffel Tower... oh & the Obelisk of Luxor which is right there... 3300 years old!

Tomorrow, London... the
DaliDaliDali

Amanda with Dali's famous melting clock
trip has gone soo fast...


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Place de la ConcordePlace de la Concorde
Place de la Concorde

Place de la Concorde, with a view of the Obelisk of Luxor, the Eiffel Tower, and Arc de Trioumph


Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0386s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb