Full Moon Over Paris


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
July 20th 2005
Published: August 17th 2005
Edit Blog Post

There's a full moon tonight which just adds to the magic of Paris at night. We wandered around the St. Germain area again, on the hunt for a recommended Italian restaurant, but after an hour of getting lost we gave up. Ironically, as often happens when you're not looking, we found it awhile later. Looking forward to having our last meal in Paris there tomorrow night. Getting lost was fun though. What a great area.

So it seems in my earlier recitation of the day I forgot to mention a couple of things. First and foremost, I bought my first pair of shoes here. From hereonin they will always been known as my Paris shoes. C'est magnifique!

I also forgot to tell you that we went to the Notre Dame Cathedral. What an architectural accomplishment dating back to the 12C. It's stunningly breathtaking and is an experience not to be missed whether churches are your thing or not.

Our few days here have been a perfect blend of seeing the "must" tourist sites while also meandering and getting lost amongst the locals in the many side streets that make Paris Paris. Being on the Batobus and wandering throughout the Left Bank area is just like being in "Before Sunset" - the beautiful sequel to the Ethan Hawke & Julie Delphy movie "Before Sunrise". That wonderfully romantic movie has come to life and it's as great in life as it is in fiction.

"Paris Plage" is all set up, ready to open tomorrow. This "pretend beach" is by the Pont Neuf and is so comical with it's trucked in sand, palm trees and lawn chairs. Apparently this occurs every July/August in Paris for locals and tourists alike to enjoy a beach along the Seine. Strange.

On our walk home we came across the Pont d'Arts which is a pedestrian bridge in front of the Academie Francais (where they write the French dictionary and make sure the french language isn't ruined or something). Anyway, the Pont d'Arts seems to be where groups of people congregate to drink. It sounds debaucherous but it's actually kind of cool and civilized. All along there are groups of people sitting drinking bottles of wine. Oh, and of course there are couples embracing on benches as there are all over Paris. Love is everywhere in this city. And the full moon just completes it.

Off to rest for the Tour Eiffel tomorrow. It's our last day in Paris and we'll be sad to say goodbye.

Miss you all!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0698s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb