River cruise along the Seine


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
July 6th 2021
Published: August 17th 2021
Edit Blog Post

A Seine river cruise through France is ideal for art, history and wine lovers alike. The weather was a beautiful and our guide Florent kept us advised in all the sights along the banks of this famous river.

The Seine is France’s third-longest river, extending 485 miles from Dijon to the English Channel & still supplies about half of the water used in Paris.Tourists are often confused about the terms "right bank" and "left bank". The system is very simple and was devised because the river's curvy nature often does make orientation difficult. The trick is to remember when you face DOWNRIVER the left bank is on your left and the right bank is on your right.

We saw so many iconic sights on our boat trip.

The Eiffel Tower - The 324-metre tower needs no introduction. Despite its fame nowadays, the Eiffel Tower was actually intended as a ‘pop-up’ monument, built just for the 1889 Exposition Universelle by Gustave Eiffel, but its popularity meant that the Paris authorities decided to let it stay as a permanent landmark on the city skyline. Until 1929 the Eiffel Tower was the highest building in the world.

Visible from almost
anywhere in Paris, the tower has a privileged position on the Champs-de-Mars esplanade on a wide meander in the River Seine. Although impressive enough by day, the Eiffel Tower is at its most magnificent after sunset when hundreds of golden lights outline the giant metal structure topped by a huge beacon.

A treasure island of Paris treats – Ile de la Cité - This important island might be small but it comes packed with must-see Paris monuments.

At the east end of the island is the instantly-recognizable Notre Dame, 1 one of the world’s finest and largest Gothic cathedrals. A river view gives a great perspective on the cathedral’s size and also its architecture. Work continues to rebuild following the devastating fire.

Little and large – Grand Palais and Petit Palais

The two palaces at this bend in the River Seine – the Grand Palais and its smaller sister the Petit Palais – were built for the Exposition Universelle in 1900. Well over a century later, their imposing glass roofs and stunning façades form part of the must-see monuments in Paris. They are two of the most iconic Paris sights really easily oggled from the river.The
Grand Palais combines classical architecture with Art Nouveau in its columned façade and giant metallic glass roof. The palace’s 4 corners are home to huge bronze horse-drawn chariots. The main characteristic of the Petit Palace is its glass dome that mirrors the larger stone one on Les Invalides on the other side of the river.

So much to see and absorb.

http://www.heygo.com


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement







Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 16; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0316s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb