Champs-Élysées and Arc de Triomphe


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
February 6th 2021
Published: February 6th 2021
Edit Blog Post

http://www.heygo.com 6th February - The Champs-Élysées to the Arc de Triomphe



A wet and dreary Saturday afternoon but that didn’t stop our tour guide Florent and a whole lot of Parisians taking a stroll down The Champs-Élysées to the Arc de Triomphe



Nearly 2 kilometres in length, this historic thoroughfare runs from Place de la Concorde to the majestic Arc de Triomphe.

Whilst it has become ‘the world’s most beautiful avenue’, the Champs-Élysées was once a swamp. In the 17th century André Le Nôtre, gardener to the Sun King traced its original path. And a legend was born. The avenue has only become more beautiful with every passing decade.



Once the famed meeting point for politicians and intellectuals, the stylish cafés have given way to a generally commercial atmosphere with enormous stores and even a McDonalds BUT this McDonald’s does not have the usual yellow ‘M’ and signage.

McDonald’s had to bow to the rules of the city of Paris… all signs on the Champs Elysées have to be white or black, or ......but they can’t be yellow. The story goes that McDonald’s tried their hardest to change the minds
of the Parisian powers that be, but the deal was that if they wanted the real estate, they were going to have to make an exception to their corporate policy, which they eventually did.



There are over 300 shops, it used to be dedicated to luxury shopping and the most famous stores are still Louis Vuitton, Dior, Tiffany & Co & Guerlain.



Founded in 1828, Guerlain is one of the world’s oldest and most celebrated heritage perfume houses. Originally, it was based at 42 Rue de Rivoli. Following its enormous success among the bourgeoisie, it then opened a flagship store at Rue de la Paix in 1840.

However, these have since closed and their flagship store today can be found at No

68 Avenue des Champs-Élysées - Opening its doors in 1914, Guerlain hosted the world's first beauty salon with walls featuring 17 different styles of Carrara marble. A specimen of Art Nouveau architecture, it was built by Charles Mewès who was the man behind both the Paris Ritz and London Carlton.



A number of events take place on the Champs-Elysées all year round.

On Bastille Fay the
avenue is the place to go, it is decked out in the French national colours to host the world-famous 14th July parade.

When it comes to sporting events, the avenue is the place where cyclists riding the Tour de France cross the finish line after the final stage.

On 31 December, people ring in the new year on the avenue with a countdown displayed on the Arc de Triomphe.



We finally reached the iconic Arc de Triomphe

Wanted by Napoleon in 1806, the Arc de Triomphe was inaugurated in 1836 by French king, Louis-Philippe, who dedicated it to the armies of the Revolution and the Empire.



In 1921 the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier was incorporated into the monument, and today the tomb’s flame is rekindled every evening at 6.30 p.m. as commemoration and respect to those who have fallen in the name of France. An annual event is held here to remember the 1918 Armistice of WW1.



I think this is the 4th tour I have been on with Florent where he has had to juggle his umbrella, video camera & gimble in the rain. Fingers crossed
he gets a dry day soon.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 20; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0683s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb