A week in beautiful Corcisa


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Corsica
July 18th 2012
Published: July 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We have just visited Corsica for a week (22nd - 29th June) and it was absolutely amazing. We took the boat from Livorno (Italy) and in 4 hours we were coming into Bastia. Arriving on the boat into the harbour of Bastia and getting a first glimse of the island from the sea is the perfect introduction to the island I would say: rough mountains covered in forest come to meet the sea and the picturesque city of Bastia with its citadel appears welcoming.

If you visit Corsica, make sure you take the train that cuts across the mountainous heartland of Corsica from Bastia to Ajaccio - it is one of the best train rides in nature I have done in my live. We did this journey in two parts, first Bastia to Corte and then Corte to Ajaccio. Corte, the major inland city and university centre of Corsica, is basically situated in the mountains of Corsica and trekking is endless in the area (we combined trekking with swimming in the river by the way, does not get any better than that I tell!).

Ajaccio we arrived by train but did not stick around for too long - only a couple of hours waiting for our bus to Porto. The bus ride on the west part of Corsica from Ajaccio to Porto was mind blowing, I did not know where to look as the natural beauty of the coastline (blue beaches), the winding roads and the mountains are all amazing. We passed from Les Calanques, a world natural wonder of massive eroded red granite mountains I tell you. Unfortunately we did not do any trekking there so we have to go back again I guess.

Porto has the most impressive location - seaside place with mountains in the background that make you think you are in Alps or something. One dau we got the bus and went to Ota village and from there we walked the famous Gorges de Spelunca until Evisa village and back. It is a good 6-7 hour walk (tiring a bit for us) I tell you through the forest and the gorge but the landscape rewards you and it is worth day. For me it was one of the best days of trekking (and river swimming of course) in Corsica. We also went on boat tour to the Nature Reserve of Scandola - do not miss this if you go to Porto - the cliffs and their colours are just spectacular!

Our holidays ended in Calvi - the beach there is amazing there and imagine that inland there is the highest mountain peak in Corsica, 2700 metres, which you can see from sitting on the beach. You can get better than that while sunbathing. Also the short train ride from Calvi to Ile Rousse is beautiful along the coastline, passing little bays. Go for a swim to one of these little bays, you won't be disappointed for sure.

And as in every visit of us, food is always on the test and Corsica has passed it for sure! I mean it is impressive how the Corsu have mastered and can make anything with chestnut: flour, bread, deserts, beer, food, jam. You can basically get fed just by eating chestnut based recipes. And do try brocciu, one of the traditional goat cheeses there - it is delicious.

We visited Bastia, Corte, Porto and Calvi and they


Additional photos below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0467s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb