Foret D'Orient


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Champagne-Ardenne
July 2nd 2009
Published: July 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Last night was too hot to sleep. This is a paradox as we have been in places far hotter - it is probably the humidity that makes the heat unpleasant. We opened the windows at 4 a.m. and turned on the fan. This meant we could hear the trains as they ran by (including TGV's going very fast) but it was easier to sleep.

We got a good breakfast with lots of coffee then set off for Forêt D'Orient. We were expecting to find more hotels but there were very few (quite a lot of camping places but we don't have the equipment). So we ended up at the Hôtel Relais Paris - Bâle which is where we stayed last year. We thought then that there were better choices round here but it seems there are not. It's fine anyway.

We got a good view of the forest (smells fantastic) and the lakes as we rode round slowly looking for hotels.

The countryside around is swarming with birds of prey - we think they are black kites. We took a longish walk earlier but it is steamy hot again. We didn't get to the lake as there is too much private property in the way, but we did have a good wander about and observed the wildlife and the trees - mostly oak and elm.

Now we are in the bar drinking water to rehydrate ourselves prior to dinner. Which will be in the hotel restaurant as there is nowhere else to eat round here. If memory serves, it's a good restaurant though a little pricey. Thunder is rumbling in the distance but I don't think it will come here. Ashley is looking at maps for somewhere to stop tomorrow though, quite honestly, we will not be anywhere wonderful. Too far North.

(Posted from Laon)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0387s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb