Easter Mass


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Centre » Vendome
April 24th 2011
Published: April 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Easter vigil mass in French was a very interesting experience. We'd planned to go on Sunday so on our way home from tea (at a creperie -yum crepe Suzette) on Saturday night we walked past the church to check the times. As it happened hundreds were arriving for the vigil mass so we joined in despite the girls feeling underdressed in their shorts.

The service started with a huge bonfire on the alter. I was starting to panic about it getting out of control when the flames were a metre high but no one else was showing any concern even when it got to two metres high. The lights were all out and the 600 or so congregation all had a lit candle each so it was quite an impressive sight. Even with the smoke billowing up to the rafters of the alter.

The service seemed particularly long with not understanding what was said, with the four baptisms included, and with much more standing than we have at home. And it was a marathon session at two hours. Sophia used herself for a good part of it playing with her candle. Thankfully they were non drip and luckily we didn't end up with a second bonfire.

The experience was a good language practice session. I tried to follow the service sheet and sing every verse printed. It was particularly good on the ones repeated over about six times. I'm sure my pronounciation was spot on by the end. It was interesting to hear Jesus pronounced jay-zoo and Christ kre.

The music was impressive with the flutes and soloist singer sounding beautiful floating down from the balcony. One song was even to the tune of amazing grace. The church bells ringing added to the music. Now I know why we hear bells all day long. The ring them before during and after the service (and there are four churchs witin 1km of our house.

We were all very awkward when it came to the peace offering after colliding with our neighbours who were moving in for the European double kiss when we were offering a handshake.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0192s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb