Our gite


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Centre » Eguzon-Chantome
August 3rd 2013
Published: July 5th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 46.4424, 1.58252

The drive seemed never ending at times but at 9pm, we made it to Walnut Cottage. In the hamlet of Parchimbaud (thankfully St Sebastien locals had heard of it!), the cottage was definitely off the beaten track, along winding one track roads past the corn fields and watchful gazes of the Limousin cattle, but this all added to its charm. The ideal hideaway! (catch us if you can immigration officials and Father in law!!) The cottage is pure magic. Set in the beautifully landscaped grounds of the friendly and hospitable owners, the former barn conversion is picture perfect and exactly what you're looking for in a holiday home. The gardens were a particular highlight - lots of different areas for sitting, relaxing, lighting the bbq and enjoying time together. We were greeted by a fridge full of all necessities including homemade strawberry jam and fresh cheese. There was a bottle of wine sitting on the table ready for us and a box of toys for Isaac.
Walnut cottage is closest to the village of St-Sebastien. However, you end up spending most of the time visiting the supermarket in Eguzon, a 6 minute drive away. The next day,on the advice of Fred, we heading straight for the beach - Plage du Chambon on Lake Eguzon. Half of the region seemed to have had the same idea but I loved watching beach life. Isaac loved eating pate and drinking lake water! Driving back, we noticed signs for 'Fete du Cheval' in St Sebastien so we stopped to have a look. The whole village was out in force in the centre, so we decided to go and blend in! We watched a superb live re-enactment of the American civil war with dancing horses, Indians and real canons. French village fete in the middle of nowhere, American civil war re-enactment - slightly surreal but must always embrace the random!! Back at the cottage, I introduced him to the delicacy that is 'green slime.' The boy has good taste!
Surrounded by lush valleys, pretty medieval villages and sparkling lakes, it was very easy to see why so many Brits come here to visit and never leave!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0309s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb