Nice - France


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Centre » Barrou
July 13th 2008
Published: July 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

France - Nice

The spectacular natural beauty of the Nice area and its wonderfully mild Mediterranean climate came to the attention of the English upper classes in the second half of the 18th Century, when more and more aristocratic families took to spending their winter theres. The city’s main seaside promenade, the Promenade des Anglais (‘the Walkway of the English’) owes its name to the earliest visitors to the resort.

The climate and breathtaking landscape are still what attracts most visitors today. The architectural diversity of Nice’s Old Town is bound to delight both architecture buffs and those who don’t know much about the history of art. The unique Hotel Negresco, with its famous pink dome, was opened by Henri Negresco in 1913, and since then delights visitors with a Baccarat 16,309-crystal chandelier in the lobby.

A walk through the maze of Nice’s Medieval cobblestone streets is all it takes to reach two quite extreme examples of religious architecture. The elaborately-decorated Russian Orthodox Cathedral, erected in 1859, is the oldest construction of its kind in Western Europe. The Catholic Church of St. Joan of Arc is quite a different story. Designed by Jacques Droz in reinforced concrete, it was completed in the early 1930s. The material, innovative at the time, allowed for the construction of an astonishing shape in a style influenced by Art Nouveau trends. Four pillars carry three strongly-curved cupolas, thus creating a truly breathtaking interior volume. Adjacent to the church is a 65-metre bell tower. The unique style of the church remains controversial with the inhabitants of the city.

For decades now, the picturesque Nicean surroundings have attracted not only those in search of relaxation, but also those seeking inspiration. The clear air and soft light has been of particular appeal to some of Western culture’s most outstanding painters, such as Marc Chagall, Henri Matisse, Niki de Saint Phalle, and Arman. Their work is commemorated in many of the city’s fascinating museums, including Musée Chagall, Musée Matisse, Musée des Beaux-Arts Jules Chéret, and the Museum of Modern Art.

While in Nice, fluent French might not be enough if you want to truly blend in with the locals. The inhabitants of the Nice region speak their own distinct language called Niçard (Nissart), an Occitan dialect spoken by a large part of the community. Fortunately, thanks to strong Italian and Corsican influences, it’s easily understandable to speakers of Italian and French



Additional photos below
Photos: 56, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0734s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb