Chalon sur Saone & Beaune day #11


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Burgundy » Beaune
July 14th 2012
Published: July 14th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Chalon sur Saone early this a.m. and took the motor coach tour to Beaune, the capital of Burgundy wine region. We departed the boat at 9:00am and took a leisurely ride through the vineyards of burgundy region stopping along the way to take photos of this beautiful place. We arrived in Beaune and took a walking tour of the historical 15th century hospice. It was very interesting story about a wealthy couple that wanted to seal a spot in heaven so they decided if they did good things for the poor, they would get in! They built this hospice and erected statues of themselves all over so everyone would know who provided the location.

Every Saturday in Beaune they have an outdoor market with produce, French products, antiques, etc. We really enjoyed the experience and saw some amazing products. It was after noon and we were hungry so we went in search of a restaurant. We ended up at Brasserie la Carnot and shared pizza, salad and a bottle of burgundy wine.

We loved the town of Beaune, probably one of our favorites from this trip so far. We have scheduled to spend 2 nights here at the Hotel Le Cep after we disembark from the cruise. We rode back on the motor coach to the ship arriving by 3:00pm.

We were too tired to take the walking tour of Chalon sur Saone besides we have to pack and try to find room for all our gifts. Good thing we bought a box from the ship and already sent back quite a bit of our purchases. We went to our cabin, started packing and decided that I needed one more iced coffee. We hung out in the lounge for a while, returned to our cabin to pack some more, showered and got ready for dinner.

One final dinner with Todor as our waiter, he is from Romania and such a nice and happy guy. He talked us into trying this appetizer which is very traditional and typical for this region with a poached egg in a burgundy, mushroom, broth. Wow... It was great. Another great dinner. We exchanged contact info.with Jane and Bill; I hope we see them again someday, they were really a lot of fun.

Tonight Chalon sur Saone had a fire works display for Bastille day celebration. What a great send off from our Uniworld cruise. This is the way to travel....everyone should enjoy such a trip! Bonne nuit.


Additional photos below
Photos: 58, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0306s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb