HIGHLIGHTS OF PLUVIGNER AREA


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Brittany » Auray
September 22nd 2013
Published: September 22nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Bretagne September 17-21

We are staying with our friend in her totally renovated Breton house (sleeps 10!) in a rural area near Pluvigner. On our first evening here we drove to Pluvigner and had galettes with salad. Perfect light dinner. Learned that galettes usually have savory fillings/toppings and are made of blé noir or sarrasin (buckwheat). Good served with salad and the local cider. Crêpes have sweet fillings and are usually made with white flour.We've had such fun exploring this are by bike, car, and on foot. Yesterday two of us did a bike ride of the local area, visiting 2 little towns Brandivy and Plumergat (a tiny town that has 2 chapels and a church all together!). We were pleased that there was hardly any traffic on the narrow country roads. The hills were challenging, but the energy expended means we can eat more of the delicious food here.We are a mere 25 km from Carnac where there is an amazing and extensive area of stone formations larger and older than Stonehenge - possibly 6000 years old. See Wikipedia for more information and better photos than I could take. We are impressed by the prolific flowers here, especially in the towns. Grown in the ground, in pots, baskets, boxes, stone vessels, they are everywhere. We never see anyone tending or watering them, but they are certainly well maintained. It is late September now, so I wonder how much more beautiful it can be in high season. In the home we're staying in, our friend filled a wheelbarrow with the lavender she had trimmed. I keep trying to make some lavender wands, but we're too busy eating, drinking, and exploring!Last night we set off to the coast to visit some picturesque towns south of Auray: La Trinite sur Mer; St Philibert; had a walk around and fabulous mussel dinner in Port de Saint Goustan.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.205s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1381s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb