Day 8 Cadillac FR Sauterne wine region


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Aquitaine » Sauternes
June 13th 2014
Published: June 15th 2014
Edit Blog Post

This is the day to expand our pallet and go out and taste the sweet wines of Bordeaux, the Sauternes. The boat sailed during the night from bordeaux to cadillac. We took a lovely drive through the countryside of this region and it was just beautiful. Everywhere you look as far as the eye can see are acres and acres of beautiful vineyards and the French chateaus with the grey slate roofs. We stopped at one vineyard for a tour of the winemaking process and cave along with a wine tasting.

The real treat of the day was the lunch that Uniworld arranged at Chateau d'Arche. Ooh la la was it fantastic. Three courses each paired with a sweet Sauterne wine. Now, I know you would think you could not enjoy that much sweet wine but pairing it with the right food absolutely altered the taste of the wine and enhanced the food.

The first course was a smoked salmon ; second course was chicken with a mushroom filo pocket and the dessert course was peaches with ice cream. OMG this was an absolutely fantastic meal. Unbelievable they could serve 100 people such a wonderful gastronomic delight!

Jim has become quite the photographer even with our little Panasonic point and shoot thanks to the guidance he has received from Ward. He has shown Jim techniques to create very artistic and creative photos. Jim has been really enjoying the new skills he has learned and is excited for us to buy a new Nikon 7800 camera for our future journeys.

We returned to the ship and we headed to the lounge to cool down with iced tea and enjoy the sail from Cadillac to bordeaux. I saw the cruise director, Katell and stopped to confirm our taxi cab Sunday to the bordeaux train station for our journey to San Sebastián. Unfortunately she informed me that French trains have been on strike for 3 days and was unsure if we would make it to our destination on the train. Oh no... Not good news.



We went on enjoying our day, hung out in the lounge and went to dinner. After dinner we generally return to our cabin for some quite and alone time. Tonight the ship had two young French ladies perform classical music in the lounge. They each expertly played the violin and made such beautiful music, we truly enjoyed the performance. When they were finished, then we headed to our cabin for the night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0241s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb