Messing about on the river!


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Aquitaine » Dordogne
September 14th 2009
Published: September 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Just spent two great days exploring the area. It really is pretty here and round every corner there seems to yet another pretty village or town filled with lovely houses. I have lost count of the number of times we have said “There is a nice house, I'd like that one!”

Yesterday we went to Domme and then La Roque Gageac. Domme is a village right on the top of a hill so we had great views over the whole area. We could see for miles. The only bad thing about it was Tim's need to use the word Domme to make the tune for F1 racing (Domme, Domme Domme Domme, Domme, Domme, Domme, Domme, Domme...DOMMMMME!) every 5 minutes!

The Dordogne seems to be the duck capital of France as every second shop we came across seemed to be selling duck in some form or another.

La Rogue Gageac is a pretty riverside town which seems to be built upwards! There are lots of winding paths that take you from the road up to house nestled in the cliff side. Occasionally someone had a car parked outside their house that lead you to wonder how on earth they got it up there!


Today we went canoeing which was great. We drove to the base which was just past Beynac. Here we were loaded into the minivan and driven to where we would start canoeing. The minivan driver did nothing to dismiss my theory that all drivers associated with kayaking or canoeing companies find it obligatory to drive like maniacs! When we got there they put us in the canoes and pointed us in the direction we had to go and off we went (no safety briefing and signing your life away here!)

The canoeing was lovely and fairly easy. The river is quite fast flowing so you pretty much go in the right direction without the need for too much paddling. We spent a happy few hours meandering along passing numerous castles and pretty villages. Every so often we moored up for a snack and a relax. It was bliss


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



21st September 2009

More canoeing
I see if you have fitted in more holiday canoeing. You must be able to create an impressive montage of canoe/kayak pics from around the world. Looks lovely!

Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 15; qc: 76; dbt: 0.0995s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb