Le saison est fini!!


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Aquitaine » Dordogne
September 16th 2009
Published: September 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Tried to go cycling today but failed! It would appear that cycle shops have defined opening times and when it reaches an arbitrary date in September then they all shut. We went into a camp site that had a huge signs saying hire bikes here. We could see the bikes but they said we couldn't hire them. We asked where we could hire them but we just got told that the “la saison est fini, FINI! “ the season has finished! Since when does cycling have a season? Do these people not want to make any money? Maybe George Bush was correct and the French don't have a word for entrepreneur!

Having given up on the cycling we decided to visit Sarlat-la-Caneda instead. We got there and got parked without too much trouble. We had been warned that finding a parking space could be really tricky.

Once there we thought lets find a toilet. That was way more difficult that you might imagine. First of all the French don't seem that keen on signposting such things. I don't know why as this is a big tourist area and there were loads of tourist around. We did finally find a sign that said WC on it and we followed it to the tourist information centre which was shut. They shut the tourist information centre for 2 hours over lunchtime and the only signposted toilets are located in there!

We did finally managed to locate some toilets. All I can say was that I was able to put all that experience of using squat toilets in South East Asia to good use! I now know why are are always seeing people weeing by the side of the road!

After all that we finally got to explore Sarlat which is a pretty little town. It has a nice medieval centre which is full of narrow winding streets and street cafés. We found a fabulous patisserie where we stopped to buy some lovely cakes. I am making sure that I am trying all the cakes I an whilst I am here!

On the way back we stopped in the Supermarket LeClerc. One of us saying“ It is I Le Clerc” never fails to amuse us how ever many times we say it!



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 80; dbt: 0.1052s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb