Truffle Festival at Sarlat


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Aquitaine » Dordogne
January 16th 2009
Published: January 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Sarlat is hosting the International Truffle Festival today and tomorrow. This two day event included two truffle markets, a re-enactment of truffle hunting, art depicting the truffle, cooking demonstrations, truffle products and truffle sampling.

If you have never smelled a truffle, the odour is very distinctive and was quite evident when we got close to the market. Trying to describe it would be impossible. Truffles were on display and purchasers were picking them up and smelling the individual products. Prices ranged from €600 to €1000 a kilogram and are down this year due to a good harvest.

Dogs are used more extensively than pigs and a re-enactment showed how adept theses canines are in searching out the buried truffles. The dogs begin digging but the owner quickly takes over, rewarding the pup with a biscuit or piece of meat, while holding the truffle at the dog's snout so he thinks he is actually getting the truffle.

The best way to get the real truffle taste is in something quite bland, like scrambled eggs. An appetizer order at a restaurant could easily be €15. Bistro L'Octroi was selling sample sized brouillade aux truffes (scrambled eggs with truffles) on a piece of toast for €2. It was a great way to try it but, having had the appetizer at the same bistro, it was far more "truffley" at the restaurant.

Restaurants in Sarlat had truffle menus which incuded a truffle infused wine aperitif, truffles with scallops, truffle sauce on beef, cheese with truffles and truffle ice cream.

With 14 degree celsius temperatures, the festival was a wonderful way to spend a few hours on a Friday and we will return tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



17th January 2009

"Hardly can be considered food?"
Bob, I completely fell for your earlier truffle explanation when you assured me they "hardly can be considered food." I was thinking this was some kind of medicinal herb, table decoration, or something you smoked--or else, in case of illness, steamed in boiling water, or applied with a poultice. Now you're regaling us with accounts of truffle appetizers, restaurant vs. street truffles, truffle recipes, etc. No more bunk: Truffles ARE clearly food. (But they do sound delectable....) If my mouth waters, it must be food.

Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0503s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb