Gimme Shelter


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Aquitaine » Domme
June 26th 2013
Published: August 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 44.8029, 1.21463

We headed for Sarlat first up to have a look around the renowned Sarlat Markets, which operate each Wednesday. Modern history has largely passed Sarlat by, with the old city having been well preserved. It is one of the towns most representative of 14th century France. The markets were great, with fresh produce from around the district on offer, along with every kind of cheese, olive, nougat, sausage etc for sale. Apart from purchasing food items, we also purchased some nougat and black truffles, which we grated onto our Risotto dinner tonight.

After returning back to our accommodation for lunch, we were taken on a grand driving tour of the local area by our host, Phillipe. Phillipe first took us to an old village, then to three rock shelters dating back to the Hundred Years War between England and France waged from 1337 to 1453. One of the rock shelters we had to access via a hole in the ground, using a rope to negotiate the steep slope into the shelter. Each of the rock shelters were located high up under the edges of the cliffs.

We then were taken to a 13th century Church and cemetery, and were
Sarlat Markets Sarlat Markets Sarlat Markets

various types of nougat at a stall.
taken inside a borie, which is a ancient small rock shelter for shepherds.

After our personal guided tour of the local area, we returned home to be invited for drinks and snacks at the home of hosts. Their knowledge of the local area, their kindness and helpfulness was much appreciated by all of the guests of the farm.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Rock Shelter Rock Shelter
Rock Shelter

we had to negotiate via a rope.


Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0513s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb