St Emilion or bust


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Aquitaine » Bordeaux
September 7th 2007
Published: September 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday 5th Sept.


Writing this sitting outside the van in our latest stop enjoying the evening sunshine and sampling the first of the bottles bought from the local chateau.We are at Domain de la Barbane, about 2km from St.Emilion, in the Gironde region, east of Bordeaux. I know that I can be prone to a little bit of exaggeration, but this place is stunning !! More of here later.
Really enjoyed our last few days in Chatelaillon . The weather has been wonderful mostly very sunny days and in the mid 20’s. The nights have been perfect for sleeping about 16-18 degrees, with clear star filled sky.
We went for a superb bite to eat in a little place opposite the Mairie, mayors office, in Chatelaillon called Crepe Suzette. Nice friendly place with super food, absolutely recommend the moules. Met a nice couple from Cork, who have a place there, Eric and Ann. They love the place and are desperate for it not to be talked about, can’t blame them. There is a Train station there with direct route to Bordeaux or Paris and if a person WAS to talk about it they might say that it would be a great place to base yourself for the world cup.!!
Went to the Aquarium in La Rochelle on Monday, €12.50 in under 3’s are free, well worth a visit whatever your age. Incredible couple of hours, but don’t bother taking the English guide thing it’s a waste of money as there are written explanations of everything beside each display. Its located on the waterfront beside the harbours, so when you finish you have no problem finding a place to have a bit to eat or a little refreshment.
We have been using the bikes a lot here but took the bus to La Rochelle, excellent and bang on time to and from.
Tuesday we packed up and left Port Punay, they charged €123 for the 5 nights including electricity and wi-fi. We thought it was a very friendly place being run by helpful nice people and we would recommend it to anyone. So far our accommodation has averaged under €24 per night, not bad for what you get.
Wasn’t feeling great during the drive to St. Emilion, think it was the nearly raw piece de boeff
I had in La Rochelle. Had to make several pit stops on the way down. Luckily the aires put some of our hotels to shame, so it wasn’t too bad. In extreme emergencies there is always the loo in the van but no2’s as a rule are banned from there. There are 2 reasons for this 1st one is obvious and its not true that girls smell of roses, 2nd one is because I am the only one who cleans it out !!
We arrived at St. Emilion in the afternoon having diverted to a camping shop to get a French regulator for the gas. Being a typical paddy here we were with a German gas cylinder supplied with the van and an Irish calor gas for the bbq .So far no problem except the French cylinder have a different connection and they ain’t easy to buy, or maybe they are and our French is really confusing. Anyway several really helpful French people gather around our problem and decided on the best solution, this took about half an hour of head shaking and shoulders before the answer was found, don’t ask me what the outcome was because they completely forgot about the two Irish idiots who would travel with cylinders from every country in Europe except the one they were actually travelling in !! Several times Orly tried to help or at least say something but these guys were absolute masters in the art of female dismissal.
On about her 3rd try to get in I stood back to watch what was going to be funny and to admire this ancient art form which was thought lost in these pc times. 4 more tries later she quietly gave up and joined me at the side of the van playing the role of grateful traveller, I don’t exactly know what the outcome of it all was, as everyone at the end of the pow wow just smiled nodded there heads and left. But this morning at about 9 two strangers called to our door and presented us with a new cylinder of French gas. We all sincerely thank them very much. Hot boppies all round !! Fair play to Orly after the thing with the French lads she got stuck into setting up the van all by herself don’t think I will have to lift a finger for a while.
We swam in the pool this morning, Evan loves the water. He has this swimsuit full of floats which keep him buoyant its really funny to see him “swimming”. Then the family set out on the bikes to St Emilion.
The campsite is surrounded by vineyards for as far as the eye can see. Dotted here and there are chateau/ farmhouses which sell there wine direct and let you sample beforehand. It is the most magnificent landscape in the glorious sunshine, the uphill cycle was tough but was worth it when we got to St.E.
The town is a world heritage site and deservedly so. Beautiful restaurants and places to eat. I’d say the wine shops see you coming though having said that if you knew what to look for I’d say you would get a bargin. The local tourist office here is in the old cloisters. They are very good and make sure to book the tour to see the underground cathedral, it is stunning. Back to the campsite on the downhill cycle exhausted, just time for a cooling dip in the pool before the little man declared himself ready for bed A FIRST. 2 mins later he was asleep.
Orla and I are enjoying the first of today’s purchases with a little goats cheese and thinking of home NOT.

Friday 7th Sept



Back in StEmilion in the worlds greatest internet bar/ café. How Nerdy is that !! Seriously its called the Web Bar and is on rue Guadet. Its in a stunning limestone building and full of comfy chairs nice music and a very friendly hostess from the USA, who serves the meanest quiches and cheeses, washed down by beautiful wine by the glass.
We came in here to see how the blog is going and add the update. Delighted to get the responses, wonderful to hear your envy, HE HE.
We spent all day yesterday in the campsite. Evan had a ball, we took out the canoe onto the lake and spent about an hour and a half on the water looking at the duckies and checking out the island of Sodor (from Thomas the tank engine) Afterwards we had the playground and the pool. He must have swam 3 lengths. He is hilarious in the pool in his swimsuit that looks like the Michelin man with all the floats. We will really have to watch him now as he is starting to think that he is invincible. Caught loads of sun yesterday so turned in for an early night, it didn’t last it was too warm so we got up had a bottle and went for a later sitting.
Orla is into the networking phase of the holiday she is in full flow, Reckon she has one of those please speak to me faces because no body passes. I must have my paying for things face on as people staying clear !!

Hi, its me again!! Orly. Still having a ball and its only getting better. Spoke to Mam and Dad on phone last night and arrangements being made for ‘the Nana’ to come out. Evan will be thrilled when he sees not only one but the two grandmothers in Portugal when we get there. I must say he is an absolute jewel of a child. We were out at a restaurant the other night and he was so good. I know there has been a few requests for some Evan blog, so that is license enough for me to yap about him so much!!! We’re all getting a little tanned. Not fast enough for me, but still, I haven’t burned yet and there is no chance of Evan getting a teeny bit red if I’ve anything to do with it. At the moment he is fast asleep in a leather chair while myself and Howie are blogging, eating quiche and drinking wine. Mam, he’s fine!!! We’ll be taking one of those touristy tram train thingys after here and then back to the pool for some whimming! Hope to download some pics here too soon. So just bear with us. As for what Howie said about me being in full flow, I don’t know what has happened but I can’t pass by anyone without having a yap and I know so many of peoples business, I could write a book!! Mind you, they know all about us too, so we’re even. Will probably not have time to edit this or get to another internet spot for another few days, so don’t be surprised if you don’t hear from us for a few days again. Hope you’re all well at home. Karl, thanks for the grass - if you know what I mean! Bobbsy, break a leg and Gar Har, what can I say, but ha ha ha - Im so looking forward to seeing your life change completely from the way it is now to complete chaos!!! He he he. Love to all my sis’s in laws including Jen of course!



Advertisement



8th September 2007

Help
Get your rugby gear Howie. Get your rugby gear Evan. Damn it, get your rugby gear Orla. The Argies beat the French. We're in trouble. Glad you're all having a ball. Make it a rugby ball. Hang around and support the lads. Cheers from us three.

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0412s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb