13th Anniversary tour - La Gorgue, Metz, Strasbourg, Heidelburg


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Alsace » Strasbourg
June 21st 2022
Published: June 22nd 2022
Edit Blog Post

When we first got married in 2009, we vowed to go away to somewhere different every year. Covid, however had different ideas....?

Full of optimism, we booked a motorhome holiday to go around the 500 in the Highlands of Scotland in 2021.....again Covid had different ideas...?

Thankfully we were able to put back our motorhome holiday until 2022 without losing our deposit ?. Sadly in September 2021, the unthinkable happened - Andrew got made redundant and we had to sell our beloved home in Scotland and relocate to Yorkshire ?. Month after month, more major stresses happen and by February we were at the end of our tether ?. The price of diesel has gone through the roof and of course to date still soaring which made us rethink the motorhome holiday to the Highlands ?. People, in general were holidaying abroad again, and the covid restrictions had relaxed significantly. With the hellish 6 months hopefully behind us, we certainly felt like we wanted to spoil ourselves ?. However, still being nervous about officialdom regarding Covid, we decided to stick to France ??. The airports were constantly reporting cancellations and long queues so the decision was made to drive ?. That, of course was also the safest with regards to Covid. We had both got it within a month of moving south, Andrew got off lightly with a slight cold but I was unable to get out of bed for a week despite being vaccinated so I certainly didn't fancy that again ?

Of course there was still officialdom to deal with ?. Making sure we had the correct accessories for the car - hi vis vests, warning triangles, bulb kit, UK stickers and headlamp adaptors. Also all the correct paperwork - V5, insurance, breakdown, licence. We also needed to apply for a clean air sticker for driving into Strasbourg. Thankfully it was cheap (about 4e) but did take a couple of weeks to arrive and you needed to scan the V5 to apply. A last minute check on the Tuesday - arggghhh...no V5 ?. We had recently moved into our new house and thought it couldn't have arrived after applying for the address change. So in major panic mode I phoned up the DVLA for a replacement - it had 4 days to arrive!!! By the Thursday we decided to apply for the clean air sticker for our other car just in case, the idea being that although the actual sticker wouldn't arrive in time, we would have the email confirmation just in case we got stopped. Then it hit...we needed the V5 to apply for the first one and of course it was still there under the scanner...doh!?

We also found out that the air conditioning on the BMW was broken and would cost a lot to repair, so a quick Amazon order to buy a portable car fan.....what was the worse????

Luck was with us on the Saturday morning. Andrew was actually down to work from 4am til 10am but amazingly that got cancelled so he didn't lose a lot of sleep which meant we could leave earlier than planned. So by 11am we were ready for the off.....and amazingly the now unneeded replaced V5 landed on the doormat at 1030am ?

It was a nice sunny day so the fan was definitely a welcome addition to the car ?. The only problem of course being that it needed the cigarette lighter to run which meant there was no where to charge our mobiles when the fan was running.....note to self still need to buy double adaptor!!?

We had a lovely pit stop near Peterborough in a charming village called Wansford where we had cocktails and a wander over the old bridge before continuing on our journey??

The drive to Dover took us over the Queen Elizabeth Bridge ? ( Dartford Crossing) where the Government have decided to ensure anyone with a lousy memory would be hit by a fine for not paying the toll as the only way to pay it was by midnight the next day....grrr..?

Once we got to Dover, a quick unsuccessful shopping trip to buy a double adaptor ended with us buying a power bank instead which thankfully did do the trick with regards to ensuring the mobiles were kept charged. After all Andrew certainly didn't want to be driving that way without my wonderful playlist going ??

The B&B in Dover was very charming and conveniently located in the town ? No use to anyone with mobility issues but nevertheless we were comfy enough. So out to find somewhere for Dinner. Dover, on a Saturday night certainly had a array of colourful characters but we did manage to find a nice restaurant on the sea front. Expensive and busy but it did do the job. So a quick wander down the pier before settling for the night. Tomorrow we cross the channel...?

After a lovely leisurely breakfast at the B&B we made our way to the Port, allowing a couple of hours before our departure time of 1245. We had booked onto Irish Ferries, the Dover route was apparently a new one for them and we certainly didn't want to go with P&O after the despicable way they treated their staff a couple of months earlier. Irish Ferries also had the advantage of being able to make payment with clubcard vouchers so woohoo..The check in process was amazingly easy and stressfree. In fact it was so quick that after arriving at 1045 we found ourselves on the 1105 departure!?

Seeing we were in holiday mode and wanted to treat ourselves we opted to head for the Club class lounge. At £12 a head it was significantly better value than the airport lounges and amazingly it was empty. So in definite first class style we had a blissful crossing, in our own private lounge surrounded by unlimited drinks and snacks ?. The departure from the ferry onto French soil was just as easy...no officialdom to deal with, just straight off and away to find our 1st stop in La Gorgue.?

Andrew adapted to the new driving rules seemlessly and we soon arrived in La Gorgue. The lady at the B&B was an absolute delight as we were shown to our free upgraded room ?. So off to explore...La Gorgue is a very small place so we headed into the nearby town of Estaires. It was rather hot weather wise and of course not much open with it being a Sunday but we did manage to see the town before heading off for a 'siesta'. It was soon dinnertime and we headed off to an 'all you can eat buffet' ? which was recommended by our host. Lovely large building, good air conditioning and a huge selection of Asian food so we were definitely happy bunnies. It was also a delight to see all the well behaved French children not glued to phones/tablets etc. So back to the hotel for bed. Sadly despite the lovely appearance of the room it wasn't the most comfy so not a great night but nevertheless we were determined to have a lovely day and breakfast set us up nicely for that ?

Feeling confident over the lack of Officialdom needed for Border crossings we decided to go on the cross border route through Belgium and Luxembourg to get to Strasbourg. Whilst looking at the route we noticed the Battle of Waterloo site in Belgium ??. A site we embarassly thought was in London!? Nevertheless couldn't resist a trip there so off we went. Again no hassle to cross the border and in fact we didn't even realise we had until we checked the map. An hour later and we were there at the famous 1815 battle site. Now stood was a huge manmade pyramid type hill with a lion on top. 225 steps later and of course very breathless we got to the top ⛰. Very difficult to see the Lion up there but the view was rather spectatulor. The obligatory shopping for fridge magnets and getting a rather calorie laded dessert? followed before we headed to our next top - Metz, back in France ??

Metz is a stunning city ?, surrounded by gorgeous architecture and the River Moselle. The cathedral is simply magnificent and beautifully preserved.? There were people everywhere so clearly a popular spot but sadly no kitchens open to get food ?. Apart from the dessert at Waterloo, we hadn't eaten anything since the breakfast 8hrs earlier so were definitely feeling it. Against better judgement there was nothing else to do but to get a tasteless dry burger from the local McDonalds to tide us over ?

The journey from Metz was very scenic through the National Forrest ? but wasn't so good for finding eateries but thankfully we did come across a pizza restaurant at about 8pm to our delight ? . Given the late hour we decided the fast route was the best option into Strasbourg so onto the toll road. Unlike the stupid UK system, we could pay at the end with a card...no problem ?. We did get stuck behind the police being very interested in the taxi in front at the toll booth but had no interest in us thankfully. We arrived in Strasborough at about 1030pm and somehow managed to park directly outside the hotel. Sadly their idea of available parking was a 10min walk away at the Station at of course an elaborate (but reduced) cost? but thankfully we were able to unload the car with the help of the lovely reception staff before heading to the proper car park. The room was nice, seemed well appointed with a lovely view of Strasbourg station.

So first day in Strasbourg, so first things first go to the Station ? to sort out tickets for our trip to Colmar. Colmar is constantly seen on the must see gorgeous towns list to visit and since it was only half an hour on the train away, it was obviously a must?. No staff at the station to be seen and trying to work out the French auto ticket machines was certainly a battle but we got there in the end....or so we thought?. Next to try out the trams ? which thankfully was a lot easier so off on Tram A to have a quick run out. Next to find the Cathedral ?....hard to miss....very impressive positioned right in the middle of tourist square where there was no shortage of souvenirs. However the same issue as Metz arose...no where to eat between 230 and 6pm so clearly we had to get organised and no more missing lunch! Strasbourg is a gorgeous city surrounded by the River Ill with lots of history which can be seen through the array of architecture ?. It is also the home of the European Parliament which was on the Tram E route. Very modern with sadly not enough character to entich us inside for a tour. Not to mention it was also dinner time ? - a friend had recommended a place near the hospital so onto another tram which sadly also meant a long walk as well, so not great given the heat ? but hey ho we persevered and thankfully found the place not only open but actually serving food. The building was rather impressive but the actual menu was quite expensive and limited. Nevertheless we ordered....lamb for me, pork for Andrew. Some complimentary stale bread arrived without butter or indeed a plate to put it on and the service was somewhat patchy. Sadly the food wasn't that impressive either, especially given the price! ? On the plus side the walk back to the hotel was lovely going through the Pontes Corverts?

Wednesday morning was for chilling out, Andrew went to the station to take photos of anything that moved ? whilst I made the most of the hotel room?. We were booked on the 1251 to Colmar so armed with salads from the local supermarket off we went. Inside the 1st class coach all was well, not busy with very comfy seats so we made ourselves at home. In came the guards with one obviously that was under assessment. "Not valid" she announced when scanning our tickets!! ? Tickets were for the day before and we hadn't noticed. So new tickets purchased with a 20e penalty fare ontop, and it was only when we were near Colmar that we realised the 'new' tickets weren't returns so we had to go and buy more for the way back ?. On the positive, Colmar was everything it had promised, totally picture perfect ?. The temperature was hot though ?, but thankfully we got around easier with the aid of their free city bus ?. Another positive about the whole ticket fiasco was that we were able to go back on an earlier train than we initially thought. The temperature had made us quite weary by that point so it was a quick non burger at the local burger joint before heading back to the hotel

The whole very hot weather had made us rethink our plans for getting back to the UK ?. The orginal plan was to check out on Saturday morning and drive straight to Calais, some 6hrs away. We had also received a text saying we should allow extra time at the port. This, no longer seemed a sensible plan so we switched it to checking out on the Friday and stopping mid way so it was more relaxed on the Saturday?. This, of course meant Thursday was our last day In Strasbourg. We initially wanted to do a boat trip but the heat made that untenable. So on the tick sheet was the architecture around Republic, The river side around Winston Churchill and of course a trip over the border to Kehl in Germany ?? which sat on the end of Tram F. I had also promised Andrew a trip to the model shop in Comtes a short walk from the end of tramline F.

So first stop - Republic, which was only a couple of tram stops away. A beautiful square surrounded by gorgeous architecture with a nice park in the middle. Sadly though there didn't seem to be anywhere to stop for drinks so given the heat that was a brief visit before we got onto the tram to Kehl. Another lovely town that was sadly closed due to the Corpus Christis Bank holiday ? but thankfully we did find somewhere for lunch and did have a lovely wander around the river before heading back to Strasbourg for the model shop.

Thankfully there was a nice cafe for me to linger in whilst he went shopping and luckily it wasn't in vain as he came out clutching a couple of items not apparently available in the UK so he was a happy chappy! ? Dinner was a trip to Winston Chuchill where Google had promised an array of eateries on the river and thankfully we weren't disappointed so the only thing left to do was to stock up on goodies for the trip tomorrow. We were quite content that we had seen all we had wanted in Strasbourg.?

Looking at the map, we noticed that Heidelburg, Germany ?? was only just over an hour away. I had always wanted to visit since Andrew had sent me a postcard whilst on a bashing holiday years earlier. And, of course in true bashing style he never left the station so hadn't actually seen the place either. So a plan was formed, off to Heidelburg then drive to Dusseldorf where we managed to bag a very nice Crowne Plaza using some loyalty points + 25e?. Obviously the hotel in Strasbourg was prepaid and unrefundable so it was sensible to try and book somewhere as cheap as possible. Dusseldorf was 4hrs away from Calais so it set us up nicely for a stressfree Saturday. So by 1030am the next day which was our actual anniversary we were on the road to Heidelburg.?

We arrived at Heidelburg castle ? in good time and proceeded to park in a resident's only zone! Of course this was only realised after we had climbed the numerous steps to get to the castle...so back down again and into the official car park.? The machine, of course was cash only but there was an option to download the app and pay that way. The initial dread and panic came over us but nevertheless we managed this actually easy task, along with the positive news that it was cheaper to do this than use coins ?. It also came with the added convenience of being able to change our departure time if needed. So feeling quite chuffed we set off to castle. Heidelburg Castle is rather splendid despite it's ruinous state and the setting was gorgeous with views of the town and River Neckar down below ?. First things first though - lunch. After stuffing ourselves with a reasonably priced pasta bolognese and bratwurst we went off to explore the castle. After a while we decided to try the funicular into town?. Sadly this was a rather popular activity which meant queues and there was a sign stating mandatory face masks ?. Slight problem ....I was exempt without any evidence and Andrew just didn't have one. Luckily the young man working in the kiosk was so taken by Andrew's accent that a long conservation filled in the waiting time. He was able to purchase a face mask for 1.50e and I was let off so all good ?

So down to the town which was heaving with tourists. The weather was extremely hot ? but we managed to get onto the old bridge to take pictures before collapsing in one of the cafe's. Again forgetting the German preference for actual Euros rather than cards, we amazingly had enough cash to get drinks and a fridge magnet before heading back to the top for slushy drinks?. It was then time to hit the road again..

In usual style we opted for the more scenic route and by complete surprise we came across a sign for Oberwesel. Oberwesel is a small town on the Rhine where we had spent some of our honeymoon 13yrs earlier ?. Seeing it was our anniversary we certainly couldn't pass up a trip down memory lane and thought a drinks break would be ideal?. Our honeymoon hotel was a castle right up the top of Oberwesel ? and I certainly hadn't recalled how bad the torrain was for walking on but nevertheless we made it to the reception. Sadly we were informed that it was only open for resident guests so no drinks but we did manage to get some more photos and used their facilities before heading out. Despite the disappointment of not being able to have drinks etc, it was definitely lovely to go up there again. Thankfully we were able to find a riverside restaurant for dinner a few miles down the road in St Goar.?

A couple of hours later we were on the outskirts of Dusseldorf checking into our hotel. The free parking was outside and the lovely lady on reception upgraded us to a superior riverview room with a coffee machine and bath! The bath was perfect for two and was a wonderful end to our anniversary...?

Being a romantic and totally skinflinty couple we opted for room service breakfast for 1, and in usual hotel style enough food came to feed an army so we were set up for the drive to Calais 4hrs away ?. The idea in my mind was that we would probably be able to get onto an earlier ferry, thus putting us back home a lot earlier than the predicted 11pm. However, in true Wylde style ?, the direct route was never an option and before we knew it we had been on the road for 2hrs but was still 3hr45 away from Calais! ? But anyway still had plenty of time for the ferry so time to refuel. In a village we found a fuel station which was like it came out of the 1930's. Better check if cards were accepted was the first thought and a fellow customer confirmed all was ok so Andrew continued with the fuelling and went off to pay. Moments later he came back with a concerned look - only German cards accepted?, and of course we literally had 5euros on us. An attempt at a bank transfer failed so there was nothing for it but to leave our passports and go in search of an ATM. The nearest one was in a town about 5km away and as a peace offering we came back armed with biscuits as well as euros ?. As time was ticking it was now time to give Mr a stern talking to about going direct....and all was well until the outskirts of Brussels where the traffic was very slow to say the least. Added onto this, Google took us to the wrong part of Calais for the port so all hopes of getting an earlier ferry were completely out of the window ?. But on the plus, we were first in the queue for the booked ferry and given the ease of checking in, we were totally perplexed at the request to come early.

Once on board we decided a proper meal was in order, rather than the snacks in the club lounge. Not great, expensive and not very peaceful sadly but thankfully it was only 90mins and we were soon back in Dover heading back home. There was certainly a noted difference in the driving in Europe compared to the UK where we seem to have encountered a few near misses. Then the rain started?...very heavy...along with the windscreen wipers making a horrid clunking noise at every swipe ?. The ride home was extremely stressful to say the least but we made it.....and puss was very happy to see us!

It had been a great week full of interesting places and new experiences ?. The weather, however did slow us down a bit and we made the decision to move our anniversay break to a few weeks earlier in a bid to remedy that. When working out the finances, it seems that we spent no more than the predicted Highlands trip. And of course we now have the confidence to do it all again...so Europe better watch out.?

Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0348s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb