Finnish countryside


Advertisement
Finland's flag
Europe » Finland » Uusimaa
July 2nd 2016
Published: November 29th 2016
Edit Blog Post

This time,while in Finland, I spent a lovely day in this charming town called Porvoo.



Porvoo is located 50 km east of helsinki from the city center.



Finland has been for centuries under the Swedish Empire, roughly 700 years, until the 18th century and after came the influence of the Russian ,for about a century, until Finland got the indepence in the 1918.



My favourite side of this town is the old city which was founded in the 13th century and is the second oldest city in Finland with beautiful stone made streets and tiny wooden houses.



Today a lot of souvenirs shops line the marvellous stone streets and many tourists are attracted here.



The sightseeing of Porvoo are those stunning red wooden homes just facing the river with boats anchored next to the concrete step.



Some of them, in the past, were used as granary to store goods that came from distant lands and just next to the bridge, to walk past the river, there was and old mansion that, now, has been transformed into a pub, "if you are into drink this is the place".



In Porvoo, There was also a train station that has been closed for a long time and due to its location, now, it looks like a ghost town.



When in Finland I definitely recommend a visit to this fascinating town just behind the corner of Helsinki.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement












4th December 2016
Porvoo old city

Porvoo
What an enchanting place Marcos. Could not imagine how mind numbingly cold it could get in Winter. Yet to the Finns maybe it'd be nice at that time of year!
6th December 2016
Porvoo old city

Porvoo
Yes Dave!!winter is the best season in Finland,it is Christmas Father land.
6th December 2016
Porvoo old city

Porvoo
Yes Dave!!winter is the best season in Finland,it is Christmas Father land.

Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.043s; cc: 13; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0314s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb