Last Days in Scandinavia


Advertisement
Finland's flag
Europe » Finland » Uusimaa » Helsinki
September 17th 2006
Published: October 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

HELSINKI-FINLAND 16/9/06

Well we've hit our last Scandinavian Capital. And even more frightening the half way point of our trip!

The drive to Helsinki was quiet to say the least everybody still catching up from the night before. There were some exciting moments though along the drive. We saw our first and only Moose today in the middle of the road, bold as brass! And they are big!

The drive mainly on freeways but still traveling through some really dense forest. The trees in this place are beautiful and because we’ve come at the end of the season we’re able to see the autumn colours coming out as well!

Helsinki is similar to other Scandinavian cities ordered and clean. We were particularly fortunate to have our driver with us during the tour of Helsinki, as he is an expert on bronze sculpture. In particular the monument dedicated to the blue collar steel workers touched his heart. For those lucky enough to visit Helsinki, it’s a must see.

Helsinki we had a free night, but in this way our particular group is a bit of an oddity we actually all like to hang out with each other! So trying to find a place that will seat 20, on a Friday night, that has authentic Finnish food, in the backpacker price range, and cheap drinks, was certainly a challenge, but one that I am proud so say three stubborn girls accomplished. It’s amazing how far a pair of big eyes, long eyelashes and a smile will get you.

So there we all are crew included hanging out on our free night in the Finnish equivalent of the Walkabout (or maybe Hogsbreath at home). Some of us we’re brave enough to try some of the local fare. I had the Reindeer (feeling a bit guilty since we had only visited Santa a few days before) and for those who are wondering, Rudolf tastes like venison. Surprise , Surprise.

It was nice to be able to sit and chat to everyone now that we all know each other a bit better. And I suppose we’re conscious of the fact that people are leaving soon we’re trying to make to most of it.

I can’t say how great it is to find people like myself out there. And I’m going to try and say this without offending all my other friends at home…but I had started to feel a bit the odd one out not wanting the guy, mortgage, marriage, baby thing. (not that there’s anything wrong with those that do!) But there are others out there like me! Hurray!! Free, single, out to see the world, gypsies. These are my people and they're great!!!


OHH other big news from Helsinki. I found my Dorothy Shoes today! Every girl out there knows what Im talking about. They’re that pair of Red Shoes that are beautiful and perfect and make you feel like Dorothy out of the Wizard of Oz. And if I do say so myself they look fantastic!!!!!!!

Im going to wear them to the Russian Ballet when we get there ! (Im such a girl! Sorry)


Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0593s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb