Hei From Helsinki


Advertisement
Finland's flag
Europe » Finland » Uusimaa » Helsinki
July 9th 2007
Published: July 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hei ..... (this is the Finnish word for hi,, believe me this is the simplest word in this unusual language) We have been hanging out in this cool city since we last posted. I should this outside in the (tends to be brief) suns viewing the things Im meant to be writing about ...so full steam !! i have a large pastry to eat in 20 minutes...

We made our way over to Helsinki on a overnight ferry to Helsinki from Stockholm.. I wasnt expecting mĂșch as I remember taking a few trips on Irish Ferries to France as a teenager and you would always have to have your doggie bag on hand and this overnighters really felt you were in a coffin ship... However we were pleasantly surprised by teh Silja Sympjhony.. You walked into a big open space like a big shopping rising about 5 floors of the ship... nice hmmmm.... nice cabins - we had a great nights sleep... you would barely know you were on the water...lot of services...... internet sauna 10 bars shops everything like a cruise ship really.. We had amassive big buffet again and with lots of wine . Also included in the price of our tour .... great deal... Myself and Heather whiled away the evening drinking wine and reminiscing..

When we arrived at the port , we got whisked away on a quick tour of the city, Helsinki is not as old as some of the other scandinavian cities, It was occupied by Sweden since 1550 to 1809 when the Russians conquered and only got their independence in 1917. Still its a nice city with the Helsinki Cathedral being my favourite building..

Pirio Heathers friend from Bermuda has been entertaining us. She is a lovely Finnish lass and we are staying in her apartment for a couple of days. She has been introducing to some Finnish Cuisine notably the baltic Herring which is consumed with the same frequency as potatoes in Ireland.. She has been showing us around the city ... our very own Tour guide!! Let me attach a few photos .... save the b..llshit ... off to Talinn Estonia tomorrow on a superfast ferry..

Bye for now
Roc and Birdie xx
ps I've added photos to the previous blogs on Bergen and Stockholm enjoy!












Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0784s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb