our last day in the west


Advertisement
Finland's flag
Europe » Finland » North Karelia
June 5th 2008
Published: June 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

P1020101P1020101P1020101

Salme feeding paul some local food - karelian pies
Hi everyone. Well, here is the last installment before we leave the west and head east. Tomorrow we catch the train to St Petersburg in Russia.
We have had a lovely relaxing time here in Finland. It has been nice to spend some time with a family friend, Salme, who has looked after us well. We are clean, fed and ready to go.
The countryside here is so beautiful in Finland. We've had loads of nice days of just walking through forests and visiting the hundreds of lakes that are around here. Have been out on one of the guys boats, where we had a BBQ on the top deck in the sun - just perfect. Stayed in Salme's summer house out in a very rural area. the house had it's own private beach and acres of land.
We've also been to see a local band in an old country barn type venue, where there were a serious amount of incredibly drunk farmers falling all over the place. Was a good night! The local paper was there and were amazed that they had some australians in the audience so they did a mini interview and our picture was in the paper a couple of days later. We are now celebrities here in Imatra!
Paul has been getting into the naked saunas that everyone does here. Not really my thing, I tried it once, but I'm a bit shy really. But paul has been coerced into going into a few, followed by a nudey dip in the lake after. Quite entertaining really. He is at one with nature. Apparently in winter they still jump into the lake after, they cut a hole in the ice and jump in. Glad we weren't here for that one! I don't think i would have survived that.
We've been eating a serious amount of fresh salmon here, so yummy! have been savouring this as not so sure what the quality of food will be like when we get over mongolia way - mutton and lard stew perhaps?
Anyway, hope you are all well. Wish us luck for the border crossing tomorrow!
xxxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 59, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

P1020109P1020109
P1020109

on salme's private beach
P1020121P1020121
P1020121

salme's summer house


5th June 2008

Feels like BC
Good Luck to you both! Looks like you were treated like royalty - lovely experience. The photos look so much like those here in BC. If you didn't know they were in Finland, you would think you were on a lake here in the Kootenays or on Vancouver Is. cheers and happy travels!
8th June 2008

hey guys!!!
hey guys,.looks like ur having an amazing time!! sorry havent been in touch, been stuck in my lagos bubble buit wil be going home soon!! cant believe it!!! travel safe,love xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
13th June 2008

Hei
Hei Guys, the pics look stunning. It seems like you are having a great time already. Keep us posted on the developments. Have fun LP

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0294s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb