crafty stuff


Advertisement
Finland's flag
Europe » Finland » Kymenlaakso » Mantyharju
July 26th 2011
Published: July 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Day six, Tuesday, 26th July 2011-07-27
Jyvaskyla to Mantuharju
This morning we set off to visit the Finnish handcrafts museum in Juyvaskyla.
It was an opportunity to see a display of Finnish regional National costumes, as well as examples of the varied handcrafts created by the Finns over the centuries.
There were also modern twists on old traditions. The finns have always been an inventive, creative lot, possibly due to necessity as well as a long cold winter where indoor activities are a must.
The shop offered many locally produced handcrafts for sale, many quirky, humorous and clever as well as beautiful. Reindeer and birch trees featured prominently as motifs, felted items, upcycled goods and wooden bowls were beautiful if expensive.
After the museum, we indulged in some shopping, and I bought – fabric.What else?

In the afternoon we packed the car and headed off to another aunt’s place near Mantyharju.
The trip took about two hours, and we travelled through wooded country, dotted with small farms, oat and wheat fields. I wouldn’t necessarily know an oat from a hay-field, but that’s what I was told they were.
My aunt’s place is by another lake, this one much larger, and the house is lovely. It is also their permanent residence. We were greeted with dinner of salad, chicken soup and pancakes with home made raspberry preserve for dinner.
A short swim in the lake before sleeping in the adjacent guest cottage and slept well.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

national costumenational costume
national costume

finnish handcrafts museum


29th July 2011

Happy Holidays
Sari, I think you could have a book in those blog posts. You write so beautifully and even though I have never set foot on Finnish soil I already have a sense of the culture and landscape from your beautiful descriptions ... and thanks for keeping the 'toilet' conversation alive...! More please.

Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0628s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb