Tartu in eastern Estonia 15 August 2014


Advertisement
Estonia's flag
Europe » Estonia » Tartu
August 15th 2014
Published: August 20th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Tartu in eastern Estonia 15 August 2014

We arrived in Tartu at about 7.00pm, found a park next to a park and cooked dinner at 'home'.

The next morning was overcast and jumper weather but by about mid-morning the sun was out.

We learned that Tartu is the second largest city in Estonia with a population of 100,000. It is a Hanseatic city and a university town. Dating back to 1030, it is the oldest city in Estonia.

We decided to do a self-guided walk around the town as we had a booklet which was very helpful on describing the features of the town. We discovered that the town was full of monuments and sculptures. We loved the Botanical Gardens, the Town Hall Square and the ruins of the Cathedral. I have put detailed captions on the photos rather than mention them in this text. It was an easy town to walk around. Everyone we came across spoke English and served excellent coffee!.

The river is very central in the town and they had boat cruises going up and down it. After 4 hours of walking around, we had lunch and then headed for Lake Peipus which is on the eastern border of Estonia & Russia.


Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 10; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0819s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb