"My Nephews Wedding"


Advertisement
Denmark's flag
Europe » Denmark
June 30th 2007
Published: September 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The gods obviously smiling, the following day dawned cool.....but sunny. Alas, it wasn't to last as we raced the weather up to Aalborg. Shane greeted us at the train station and ferried us out to Blokhus to his soon to be in-laws summer house at the beach. Marion had arrived earlier in the day and was busily working on the wedding cake. The following day Mum and Bruce turned up. Again, Shane shuttled them the 1 hr round trip to the summer house. This pattern continued with Murray & Cynthia and various other trips until we had all gone again a week later to the extent that the poor bugger must have become dizzy with it all. Not to mention his pending nuptials. The summer house was set in a private enclave amongst a pine forest near the beach. Iben's (Shanes wife to be) father had built it and it was very kindly offered to the Olsen family for the week. I must say the Danish would have to be among the most hospitable and helpful people I have come across, nothing is too much trouble and this extends to people in official roles which was veryrefreshing to say the least. A big thanks to Iben and her family, especially her parents Peter & Berta and of course Shane.

Day after day dawned overcast, cold and wet. Then amazingly, the day of the wedding it dawned fine and sunny albeit cold. The wedding I'm told was quite a traditional affair, as 'I imagine the majority of weddings are here. The ceremony was held in an old church in Aalborg and was delivered in both Danish and English. Song was prevalent throughout. When the ceremony was done, a bus was ordered to whisk us away to Dronninglund Castle, some 40 min outside town. It was a good long night and I witnessed Murray dancing, I sight i could be excused for thinking I would never see and one I wouldn't expect to see again. The last day was spent again at the summer house in the rain before a quick overnighter back in Aalborg to catch the 15hr train journey back to Munich.

So it's goodbye for now to the flat land with lots of windmills, bicycles, nice people and pretty girls. I have to admit I'm looking forward to some warmer weather.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0788s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb