Big Skies and the Island of Romo


Advertisement
Denmark's flag
Europe » Denmark » Region Syddanmark » Tønder
August 29th 2010
Published: August 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Romo


Sunday 29th August 2010
Sunny Sunday morning and after a slow start we set off up the coast to the island of Romo.
This lies off the west coast of Denmark and is connected to the mainland by a five mile causeway.
Visit to the Kommandeurhof ( Captains's House ) at Toftum which was built in 1748. The house was owned by a wealthy sea captain who made his fortune from trade and whaling.
The rooms containing decorated panels and ceilings with many tiles of blue and white faience from the Netherlands.
In the barn the boys were amazed to see the skeleton of a sperm whale which was beached in 1996.
Lunch at the tiny harbour at Havneby where the local fish restaurant serves up a big selection of locally caught fish which they smoke on the premises.
After lunch we walked on the vast beach and looked for amber which apparently is washed ashore.
Numerous sand yachts were there many owners appeared to be there for the weekend in their motorhomes.
Back at the campsite Dad triumphed ( as usual no prisoners taken ) in the International Danish Crazy Golf Event 2010 and the boys enjoyed the range of other activities available.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



30th August 2010

Fishy?
Don't know ih I could get away with serving Fish and Chips that looked like that, then again I noticed they left the eyes in, so at least thhat would see you through the week end! BU BUM!!!!!!!!!!

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0353s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb