Aalborg, Denmark


Advertisement
Denmark's flag
Europe » Denmark » Region Nordjylland » Aalborg
May 4th 2017
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Matryoshka Nesting DollsMatryoshka Nesting DollsMatryoshka Nesting Dolls

The first Russian nested doll set was made in 1890 by Vasily Zvyozdochkin from a design by Sergey Malyutin, who was a folk crafts painter at Abramtsevo. Traditionally the outer layer is a woman, dressed in a sarafan, a long and shapeless traditional Russian peasant jumper dress. The figures inside may be of either gender; the smallest, innermost doll is typically a baby turned from a single piece of wood. Much of the artistry is in the painting of each doll, which can be very elaborate. The dolls often follow a theme; the themes may vary, from fairy tale characters to Soviet leaders. Matryoshka dolls are often referred to as "babushka dolls", babushka meaning "grandmother" or "elderly woman".
Geo: 57.0492, 9.92666

Today we pulled into a city founded by Vikings in the late 900s, historic Aalborg, the best-preserved Renaissance architecture in all of Denmark. This is the fourth largest city in Denmark, founded as a trading post. The wealth that poured into merchants accounts helped build many half-timbered mansions that still stand today.

This morning I attended a lecture by Resident Expert, Alexander Fyrk on the Matryoshka Nesting Dolls and how they became a Russian cultural icon. It was very interesting. The idea first originated in Japan and then was brought to Russia and became much more artistic and intricate. The ships gift shop has some beautiful sets. They are hand carved from Lemon wood and each one is hand painted. It can take an artist up to two years to paint a set. The sets can be from 3 pieces to 62 or more. I have posted some pictures of a few of the sets on the ship and also the history.

This afternoon we had a walking tour of Aalborg with Heidi, our best guide yet. She actually lives and studies here. Education is free in a few of the countries we have visited; so, young people take advantage of
Matryoshka Nesting DollsMatryoshka Nesting DollsMatryoshka Nesting Dolls

A matryoshka doll (Russian: матрёшка; IPA: [mɐˈtrʲɵʂkə], matrëška), also known as a Russian nesting doll, or Russian doll, is a set of wooden dolls of decreasing size placed one inside another. The name "matryoshka" (матрёшка), literally "little matron", is a diminutive form of Russian female first name "Matryona" (Матрёна) or "Matriosha".
this and are eager to get an education. They usually speak several languages and work part time to earn money to pay living expenses. She was a very enthusiastic guide and really knew a lot of history regarding Denmark and especially Aalborg. Please check out the pictures for more details on this walk.

This evening we set sail for Copenhagen, Denmark.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Matryoshka Nesting DollsMatryoshka Nesting Dolls
Matryoshka Nesting Dolls

Beautiful nesting dolls for sale in the Viking gift shop.
Hanging ship in church Hanging ship in church
Hanging ship in church

This ship was hanging along with the beautiful chandeliers in a local church.
Drowning your worries Drowning your worries
Drowning your worries

Heidi explained how you take a stone that represents a worry and "drown" it in this stone bowl of water. I put three stones in. I could have put in a lot more. I am the designated worrier in our family. Mark Twain said that most of us give our worries swimming lessons rather than drowning them.
Worry stonesWorry stones
Worry stones

This was a poster next to the stones.
Alborg streetAlborg street
Alborg street

We walked along this cobblestone street as Heidi asked us not to "stare" into the open windows. The residents have agreed not to close their windows if the tourists will not stare into the windows. Just walk along and be discreet.
Alborg houseAlborg house
Alborg house

I thought this Iron gate was so beautiful.
Hanging ChurchHanging Church
Hanging Church

I thought this was so moving
Painted rock on doorstepPainted rock on doorstep
Painted rock on doorstep

I have a friend who paints rocks. Neat!
Door plackDoor plack
Door plack

These are the names of all the people who have lived in this house. I like that idea.
Bicycles all lined upBicycles all lined up
Bicycles all lined up

As you may have guessed, Bob took a lot of these pictures. All the good ones anyway.
Tennis shoesTennis shoes
Tennis shoes

Colorful picture taken by non other than Bob Halloway. I don't remember seeing this; but, he has an eye and thought it would make an interesting picture. I think so too!
Beautiful steeple.Beautiful steeple.
Beautiful steeple.

Heidi said that one of the things she misses when she is away from home is the ringing of the Church Bells.
Post officePost office
Post office

Notice the little cubby holes in the side of the building. They are boarded up now; but, were once used as carrier pigeon stations before we had telephones, telegraphs and stamps.
No idea what this isNo idea what this is
No idea what this is

But everyone was taking a picture of it so we did too.
Court houseCourt house
Court house

These beautiful doors have lots of nail holes in them from various legal postings.
VikingsVikings
Vikings

As we ended our tour, our guide Heidi was captured by Vikings.
A ToastA Toast
A Toast

We saved her and toasted our new found friends.


12th May 2017

Now that's funny primarily because I so identify!!! We are so much alike in so many ways Diane and I'm so thankful to have your friendship.
12th May 2017

Bob is a fabulous photographer. I'm so enjoying all the pictures. My arm is still in a sling so it's hard to type comments but the eye-candy is awesome!!!
12th May 2017

I am unable to log in to respond. I've been using this program for several years now. I can automatically login, but I am unable to login to respond to comments because it does not recognize my user ID? Why? If I ever log out on my app I'm
afraid I won't be able to get in again.Diane HallowaySent from my iPad
12th May 2017

Bob is an artist in his own right.

Tot: 0.199s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0772s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb