Bones And Bridges


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic
June 4th 2007
Published: August 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Kutna Hora
Only having two full days to see Prague and surrounding areas, we successfully crammed both days full of the sights and sounds that the Czech people had to offer. The first day, we took a one hour train to a place called Kutna Hora. Surprisingly, its unknown to many travellers and most dont venture out there to look around but we planned to go as it is home to the only church in the world decorated artistically with the sculptures of 40,000 human skeletons.

The church itself (named Kostnice Ossuary) is not extremely big like you would expect it to be but the artwork within its walls will take your breath away. Originally back in 1318 about 30,000 people were buried in the cemetary, then during the tradgedy of the Black Death which swept across Europe, thousands more bodies were brought to the same cemetary to be laid to rest. In 1400, a gothic church was then built and used as an Ossuary for the mass graves. 470 years later, a woodcarver was hired by the family who owned the church (Their surname being Schwarzenburg) to put the bones into order and he formed the structures that lay there today.

Its really crazy and quite eerie to be able to walk around and even touch the skulls that are on display. Anyone heading to Prague (even all the fellas on stag nights) should definently take the time to get out to Kutna Hora for a peek at this amazing Ossuary.

Prague
The city of Prague we found to be really easy to get around, most people speak English and are quite helpful. We spent the second day trekking around the city, sticking mainly to the Old Town Square areas as these were full of charm and history and the buildings featuring classic and sometimes gothic architecture.

Prague Castle sits right at the top of a hill with a pretty impressive view of the city and the Charles Bridge. As we got to the top we were just in time to see the changing of the guards which was cool but not as good as the show that they put on back at Lizzie's house in Buckingham. At this stage of our travels we are pretty 'churched out' as you can get sometimes......you know, seen one church, seen em all, but the Prague Cathedral is definently our fave, as gothic as you like complete with demonic gargoyles and sadistic looking creatures spewing out from all sides and corners of the building to keep out all the unholy.

We also had a look around a medieval torture museum (not good to do straight after lunch) and wandered all around the narrow alleys and backstreets that snake their way throughout the city. Czech Republic being on the Crown currency means you get alot more for your money, food and beer was really cheap which made it easy to stay up all night in the hostel drinking 80 cent pints........Happy days!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



12th June 2007

Praha
Stoked you made it to Kutna Hora kids, i got stranded there once and had to hitch back to prague to catch a flight, had to skate 8miles down the road to the nearest taxi stand and beg a ride!

Tot: 0.308s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0686s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb