Tip for Velvet Revolution Day


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Vysocina Region » Havlíckuv Brod
November 17th 2010
Published: November 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Just a short, no pictures entry. On wednesday there was a public holiday in the Czech Republic celebrating the anniversary of the Velvet Revolution, which overthrew the Czechoslovakian single-party communist state in 1989. On this day many small towns have markets popping up, as it serves as a great reason for people to start their christmas shopping.

Jessica, Jakub and I took a 2 hour trip to Havlíčkův Brod, a small historical town about halfway between Prague and Brno in the midst of the Vysočina region, where I had previously never been. The town square was thriving with interesting stalls, mostly of craftwork and local food (the speciality of this region is "zabijáčka", basically meat from a ritual pig slaughter). We also saw someone serving goulash from a cauldron, and a lot of honey-based snacks (including home-made medovina, a thick, sweet spirit made from honey). I did about half of my christmas shopping on this day and can already tell it's not going to be the same as every year this time around!

I definitely recommend visiting a smaller historical city on this bank holiday, for this reason. The atmosphere is great, and the markets in the centre of Prague are nothing special whatsoever, even on special occasions.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0345s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb