Brno Zoo Short Review


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » South Moravian Region » Brno
December 31st 2016
Published: July 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Brno was the first of the three zoos that I visited as I was staying in the city centre of Brno itself (which is very nice, by the way) and I had the pleasure of being shown around the zoo by a local resident and fellow zoo enthusiast. Brno is a decent sized zoo, not huge by any means, but quite a nice general zoo with a fairly diverse collection ranging from mammals to fish. It's quite easy to see that the zoo has improved in recent years and continues to improve as there are a fair few old, out of date enclosures, such as some very old primate enclosures, as well as some very nice new enclosures such as the excellent Kamchatka Bear exhibit and the African area where there is further development going on with the construction of a lion exhibit. The restaurant and gift shop building is also very nicely done-up and certainly one of the prettier ones I have seen with a squirrel enclosure and an aviary inside as well as viewing into the tiger exhibit.<br style="color:𢡦 font-family: 'Source Sans Pro', sans-serif; font-size: 15.6px; background-color: #fcfcff;" /><br style="color:𢡦 font-family: 'Source Sans Pro', sans-serif; font-size: 15.6px; background-color: #fcfcff;" />Though I don't think there is anything super-rare at Brno Zoo, there are certainly quite a few unusual species worthy of note, and main ones that come to mind are Kamchatka Brown Bears, Sri Lankan Leopards, Cuban Hutias, Altai Wapiti, Northern Fur Seal, Canada Lynx, and a few unusual fish, amongst other things. A few further exhibits that I particularly liked were the walkthrough for Yellow-footed Rock Wallaby (though it seemed quite empty with only two wallabies), and the huge walkthrough aviary for Bald Eagles. I also enjoyed watching the North American Beavers, which were particularly interesting that day, as they swum under the ice, climbed on top of the ice, and brought bits of mud and twigs into their indoor 'dam' which has a viewing window into it<br style="color:𢡦 font-family: 'Source Sans Pro', sans-serif; font-size: 15.6px; background-color: #fcfcff;" /><br style="color:𢡦 font-family: 'Source Sans Pro', sans-serif; font-size: 15.6px; background-color: #fcfcff;" />So, Brno certainly has its flaws and is by no means perfect, but generally the new developments are excellent and the zoo seems set to continue to improve so all around it's a very nice zoo and well worth a visit if you're in the area.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0382s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb