Cesky Krumlov - A must visit


Advertisement
Published: April 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Our next adventure was to Cesky Krumlov in the Czech Republic. We booked our tickets from Vienna, it cost approx 90NZD to travel by train, with 2 connections. The train from Vienna to Czech Border was great, and then we made our connection to Ceske Budejovice ... put politely the train could be described as rustic or possibly a historical experience into rail travel in the 1930's. Unfortunately I have never been one to be subtle, so the train consisted of one carriage that resembled something out of the flintstones, I fully expected the floor to drop and we would have to paddle with our feet. The train also made bizarre stops in the middle of the forest for no reason, I decided to enlighten the ever worried Austrians onboard by yelling out "NOW. You walk" in my best Communist dictator voice. However the train got there, and we got on another equally bad train to Cesky Krumlov, although this leg of the journey was very cheap it was painfully slow.

We were staying at the Arcadie Hotel, it was reasonably priced with a fantastic view over Cesky Krumlov. It was also very well located in the town.

We loved Cesky Krumlov as soon as we arrived, it is an absolutely stunning little town. It has many gothic and medieval buildings, and a brilliantly preserved castle, known as the "Castle of Cesky Krumlov," which was built in the 1200s. The castle has a moat that has 2 live bears in it!!! You can also climb to the top of the tower for a fantastic panoramic view of the city. The town also has great character, with lots of great stores and lovely walks around the river. There was also a small market in the main square that had lots of locally produced goods and there are plenty of cafe's and restaurants. For those who like beer there is also a brewery.

We also went to the Torture museum and the Wax Museum. Both museums were well worth the visit, pretty morbid but well curated.

Cesky Krumlov is the perfect "get-away" location, with plenty to do in a great atmosphere. So far this has been my favourite destination of this trip. Prices were moderate, I can foresee that this will be packed during summer, we were there during the beginning of Easter and the crowds were tolerable. We hadn't catered enough time for this spot, we were sad to leave. We didn't even come close to fulfilling what this town has to offer.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



12th April 2010

Of course you scared them all with your communist voice! Haha trust you Katie! I love your flintstone analogy you crack me up! miss you lots! glad you are finding amazing places!!

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0537s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb