Cesky Krumlov


Advertisement
Published: August 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Cesky KrumlovCesky KrumlovCesky Krumlov

The view from the castle of the town
Tuesday

I got up early today as me, Steve, Jill, Andrea and Grace were going to climb up the Stephansdom tower this morning. We met up at 8.30am and made it to the centre on the U-bahn by 9am just in time for opening. There was no way we were going to miss it this time! We found the entrance and started the long climb. It is 349 steps to the top! I think I have definitely got fitter on this holiday but I was starting to waver at 299! Luckily there was a little stop gap to look at a place where the bell once was before the final push! We made it to the top in record time and guess what we found at the top? A shop! You could buy a postcard of the pope for 50c if you so wished!! The views of Vienna were awesome though and well worth the climb. When we got back down we stopped for a well earned ice coffee before heading back to the hotel.

The minibus was supposed to be arriving at 11am but ending up not getting there till 12pm! Still sat outside soaking up some rays
Me and my cocktailMe and my cocktailMe and my cocktail

After dinner we went for cocktails - very nice too!
while I was waiting, which was nice. The minibus arrived eventually and it took us about two hours to get to Cesky Krumlov. As we drove up everyone was just awestruck because it was so picturesque! The buildings were all beautiful and it is a UNESCO heritage sight so is protected from any building being done. We checked into our cute little hotel right in the middle of town and then headed out for lunch/dinner as was about half 4! We sat outside and had goulashe for the first time. Was very nice. Some of the others had a hedgehog sausage! But turned out it wasn't actually sausage it was just in the shape of a sausage!

After dinner we had a walking tour of the city with a guide - Oli. She was really good. She told us lots about the history of the place and what it was like living in the Czech Republic when it was under Soviet rule. Very interesting. All the streets and views were amazing! We walked up to the castle and all around the town and was really good. Afterwards a few of us went down to the river bank to sit
The castleThe castleThe castle

We took a walk around the town at night. The castle looked amazing.
and chill and watch the world go by before heading to the cocktail bar for a few drinks before bed! Very nice too!

Wednesday

Today we got up early as we had a bike ride scheduled. We met the group at the shop and then the guy drove us up to the top of the hills. The drive took about 20 minutes and we were all starting to get worried about how long it would take us to ride back! George estimated 3 hours but said it had been done in an hour and a half! We got our bikes and the guy showed us how to use the gears etc then we were off! There were three uphill sections but the rest was downhill! Was fabulous! Although by the end my hands were aching from clinging onto the brakes so much - some parts were pretty steep!! We rode all the way back to town and in the end it only took us about two hours! Good work us!

Then we booked a rafting trip for the afternoon - we were glutton for punishment. We went for lunch first by the river and then headed back
Bike rideBike rideBike ride

Me and my bike at the start of our three hour ride!
up to the shop. The guy took us in his van to get the raft and then dropped us by the river. Luckily we had a fab sternsman in Steve who told us all what to do. There were four weirs along the river and the first one we all fell backwards and landing in the lap of the person behind which was quite funny and we couldn't paddles despite Steve telling us to! After that though we braced ourselves and was such good fun!

Then a few of us headed up the castle tower - more excercise!!! - and then we explored the castle gardens. The views were great from the tower and it was nice to just sit in the gardens and relax for a bit! I think we had earned it!!

We went to a bbq place for dinner - George highly recommended it and booked us a table. Apparently the food of choice was pork knee on the bone! 1kg of meat!! All the meat was roasted on a spit in the middle of the restaurant and it was really cool place. Afterwards we went for a few more cocktails and someone decided it
The gardensThe gardensThe gardens

This is the lake of the gardens - was beautiful. We just sat and relaxed and soaked up the atmosphere!
would be fun to have shots too! Crazy! After a few drinks there George took us to another place called the horror bar where there were loads of skeletons hanging off the walls for more cocktails! I was pretty glad we had a lie in the next day. Tomorrow we are off to Prague.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Cesky KrumlovCesky Krumlov
Cesky Krumlov

The town from the castle gardens
MeatMeat
Meat

George took us too a bbq place where food was roasted on a spit. This is me and Jill with our mixed grill! Very nice too!
AbsinthAbsinth
Absinth

Someone had the bright idea to do Absinth shots!!! I think it was Jill!


Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.055s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.05s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb