Bohemia


Advertisement
Published: April 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

This past weekend many of us went south to Bohemia and visited a UNESCO heritage site, the town of Cesky Krumlov. On the way we stopped in a town called, I think, Pilzn, where Pilsner Urquell is headquartered. We actually spent a night in Pilzen, which has nothing really going on except the brewery. We stayed in the "Hotel Continental" which I have learned is code for "Commie hotel trying to pose as classy Western Hotel" in Eastern Europe. It was as bizarre as most of them are--it does have this air of regalty to it, sort of, except inside it's a mess of socialist coldness, gaudy chandeliers, red carpet on the steps....my girlfriend commented the moment we went down the hallway where the rooms are, "It reminds me of a concentation camp here". The room was more of the same, weird. They had a Paine Stewert golf motif set against fake antique memorabilia and poor communist planning. Oh well. Part of the adventure. The breakfast wasn't half bad!

Cesky Krumlov was an attractive little town, quiet, and very relaxing. It was definitely a tourist trap, and obviously "restored" to the way it never used to be in communist times. That all the vendors selling "cashmere" clothes were from Asia, not Europe, might have been a hint that something was up...but it was fun all the same and some of the buildings really are old and interesting. Most importantly, it was good to get away and to be in a town whose options are not limited to Czech food, pseudo-Italian, and Chinese food. If you are ever in Czech, it's worth a drive thorugh the countryside though! It's beautiful.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

ManholeManhole
Manhole

When the town has manholes like these, you know it's a tourist trap
Feels sort of like Istanbul or BakuFeels sort of like Istanbul or Baku
Feels sort of like Istanbul or Baku

At least the alleys do...
Little Venice?Little Venice?
Little Venice?

But cleaner?
Entrance to Pilzn townEntrance to Pilzn town
Entrance to Pilzn town

The most impressive thing in town, I think
That;s a lot of beerThat;s a lot of beer
That;s a lot of beer

Our sample came straight from one of these....though I think they are just for tourist purposes


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0392s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 5; ; mem: 1.1mb