Prague- Our 1st Opera


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague » Old Town
May 18th 2011
Published: May 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The Charles BridgeThe Charles BridgeThe Charles Bridge

A view of the Charles Bridge to the Castle
Having spent one day on the train we were glad to be in Prague. The train ride was made much more pleasant when we met the couple behind us, newlyweds, and discussed our varied travels. We made some plans to meet after our opera at the Budweiser Pub where I wanted to buy a new tablecloth anyway.

Our room is in the historic district, right behind the Astronomical Clock and just across the walk from the St. Nicholas Church. The place use to be a tavern frequented by the executioner. We enter thru a heavy wood arched door, up a narrow wood spiral staircase and into our room with ceiling panels each hand painted. The double windows open onto the street on one side and the square on the other. We couldn’t ask for a greater room!

Our 1st opera was in the evening so after breakfast we leisurely got going. The 1st stop was a little restaurant on our side of the bridge that I’d seen on other trips, my plan was to drink coffee and enjoy the sights of the bridge and castle. We found a table right in front of the river, had coffee, lunch and
A View from the BridgeA View from the BridgeA View from the Bridge

From the Bridge to Stare Mesto
I shot photos.

The “Barber of Seville” was not only our 1st opera in Prague, but also our very 1st opera even to see. I’ve not been a huge opera fan, that is no to say I don’t enjoy the music, just not all of the intense stuff. I’m more of a fluff fan.

We dressed up in our good clothes, hoped on the tube and were off to the State Opera House where we had box seats. The boxes had enough room for 4 persons and we had to share our box with 2 other people but they were nice and we really didn’t know that they were there most of the time.

The Prague State Opera House is a fun, audience friendly place. On each side of the orchestra pit is a walk way to the stage so that the cast can interact with the audience which is exactly what they did. In the opening several cast members came thru the aisles singing and carrying on. They came thru again, the old Doctor made us believe he tripped over a lady’s foot then he proceeded to sit by her and pat on her head, making facial expressions that had us howling with laughter.

The opera was so funny; the cast not only sang exceptionally well but were great actors too. What a great introduction to opera.

After the opera we walked to the beer hall but alas our new friends were not there and the atmosphere had changed. We didn’t find it a fun place to be but then the last time we were there it was mid Dec. and freezing cold. The tablecloth available appeared to be of a thin material with little print on it. We walked out and found a new restaurant for new memories.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0318s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb