Prague


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague » Old Town
August 6th 2009
Published: August 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Another city to travel to and appreciate have to say was glad to leave Budapest and well don’t have anything to write about it was a pretty city but that’s as far as it goes. So from there we ventured to Prague and what a difference it is after a long day on the train we just chilled the first night must be getting old we seem to do a lot of that not a lot of late nights a partying going on well compared to other younger travelers anyway.
There looked like a few good things to do in Prague and our location was really good situated near the old town square which is well magnificent with all these beautiful old buildings that have been really well looked after. It has this famous clock which on the hour has this skeleton ringing his bell announcing the 12 apostles as they appear above doing this little circuit on tracks inside the clock tower hundreds of people stop every hour and watch.

There is also a church with two tall black towers it really stands out although one tower is slightly taller than apparently a different architect oversaw the second tower I actually didn’t notice until a guide on one day pointed it out. There is also a massive bronze statue with some dude who well invented Protestentism yeah that’s not a word but I don’t care anyway it looks cool. The square has lots of restaurants condusive to outdoor eating and bars for drinking.

The first day we thought we would walk around and knock off Prague Castle-the biggest castle in the world so they say. It sits high on the hill on the other side of the river-the one thing you notice about Prague is how easy it is to just walk around you don’t really need public transport. It is a beautiful sight to look at from below and a nice steady walk up hill. Once there you can take your pick of self guided tours we chose the long one because that’s what we usually do try and see as much as we can.

You can go into the history room which gives you the complete detailed history of the Castel from 918Ad though to present day. There is also evidence of Neolithic settlement on the site. It has an original church on the grounds dating about the same time and a newer one from around the renaissance period. There is some wonderful architecture and it is huge perhaps the size of the Alhambra maybe a bit smaller. It went through many stages in its history from an early faze to Roman and Renaissance among others all with a story to be honest since being there to now I cant remember much of the detail its not really that important anyway.

That night or the next? We went on a beer tour which was really great fun the one thing you realize about the cheq people is even though they have been through a lot with occupation by the communists etc they are a very proud people especially about there beer and Prague. So the tour we went to some out of the way places most of them underground and sampled various beers all very tasty and met some nice people the night got merrier as it went along and that’s before we hit the Absinth bar originally developed in France the Cheqs have made an art form out of it, there were 26 to try on this menu I had 2 mine and someone else and felt very happy afterwards. We hit another happening underground bar after that with lots of locals and had a nice hangover the next day. The other thing about Prague I was impressed with was the amount of English that is spoken.

This was a really great city to be in it was clean the people friendly and has some magnificent buildings a place to possibly revisit at some stage. We still had 2 days left after the drink fest the night before we had an all day tour booked we got down there looked at each other and walked back to the hostel and had a long nap, the afternoon was just cruising around soaking up the city and maybe getting away from the tourists a bit they are annoying lol.

So the following day we did the big tour with a very imformative and passionate guide who took us al around the city stopping at signifigant places along the way the trip also included a boat cruise and lunch with free tasty beer oh yeah we cut the tour a bit short as we had already seen the castle a couple of days before. Was a really good day and time in Prague the only thing that was a a bit of a downer was our room and the lack of sleep we got due to the set up and people coming and going at all hrs other than that it was great.

You may want to know how much it cost and all that well beer is pretty cheap like 1.50 for a beer or 40 ch crowns food could be purchased cheaply also there main dish is beef goulash with potatoe dumplings not bad homely food.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0375s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb