Day 4 - Olomouc


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Olomouc Region » Olomouc
April 9th 2014
Published: April 19th 2014
Edit Blog Post

We took a morning train to Olomouc, a university town. For some reason, the train carriages reminded me of the train in Harry Potter, which made me giddy with excitement (Yes, I still believe that one day, I shall receive my acceptance letter). When we reached Olomouc, we realised that barely anyone spoke English and we needed to get to the town centre (oh the joys of travelling). Luckily for us, a kind Samaritan with fluent English approached us and offered to bring us to our hostel.



We stayed in the Poet's Corner, a nice cosy hostel just minutes away from the town centre. The owner gave us a brief overview of what we should see and eat. It was well into the afternoon and so we set off to St. Wenceslas' Cathedral, afraid that we might not finish touring the town. We then went next door to the Archdiocesan Museum, which was temporarily housing an exhibition showcasing Madonna from museums all around the world. We powered on to St. Maurice's Church, which had a tower that showed a beautiful overview of the small town. However, the strong wind (It nearly blew me off the roof, Scout's Honours) resulted in us snapping only a few pictures and hurrying back down. A unique feature of this tower is that there are two stairs in a spiral formation, allowing descent or ascent of the tower without bumping into opposite traffic (not that there were anyone for us to bump into).



Just around the corner from that church was the town square. We saw the Holy Trinity Column and another astronomical clock similar to the one in Prague. There were also many fountains dotting at each corner of the large and small town square. We then went to St. Michael's Church, which had an underground spring. When we came out, we realised that we were basically done with plenty of time to spare. So we decided to walk down to Bezručovy Sady (park).



As we didn't have lunch, but was still too early for dinner, we did the next best thing: go to a cafe (Cafe 87) to have dessert. They are famous for their chocolate pie, but they also had other amazing desserts (raspberry cheesecake anyone?). We sat there to kill time, before heading off to a pub for cheap dinner and seriously cheap beer.


Additional photos below
Photos: 51, Displayed: 23


Advertisement




Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 14; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0209s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb