Day One of Training Camp


Advertisement
Published: March 26th 2014
Edit Blog Post

NZ DepartureNZ DepartureNZ Departure

Sophia and D partner Krystyne flex their guns at Auckland International Departures
We boarded the plane in Auckland full of exhuberance and good cheer. The excitement was palpable as team mates from the Ice Fernz rallied together in the International Airport Terminal amidst hugs and chatter to snap photos of eachother in front of signs that read International Departures. By the time we disembarked in Dubai to switch planes, we were walking like zombies and decidedly less cheerful. Our team seating arrangement onboard the 14 hour flight had been thickly peppered by crying babies. I sat directly behind two women from the United Arab Emirates with their two young children who didn't have to decency to genuinely cry, but insisted on doing the fake-fussy cry nearly the entire journey--a piercing cry that managed to shatter even my sleeping-pill induced wonderland of dreams. By the end of that flight, I had seen enough evidence to confirm rumours that kids who grow up in Dubai are generally spoiled brats.

At any rate, we arrived in Prague about 40 hours after leaving Oamaru utterly exhausted. Our team mates who are based in North America were there to greet us as we cleared customs. After more hugs, we boarded team coach for Beroun--a town of 19,000
Cranky KidsCranky KidsCranky Kids

These are the cranky kids that tormented me with their fake crying the entire flight to Dubai
people in the Central Bohemian Region of the Czech Republic. The town is approximately 30 kilometres southwest of Prague and part of the extended metropolitan region. This is where our team will be based for the next 10 days during our pre-worlds training camp. Our hotel overlooks the ice rink, and we are just two blocks from the town's central plaza.

On Day 1 of camp, we checked into the hotel, had a lovely lunch with plentiful salads, then headed to the rink for our first team training. Despite exhaustion and a few blank stares, we managed to have a skate, stretch out our legs after the long journey, and tire ourselves out completely before heading to bed! After a 10 hour sleep, we awoke feeling rested and rejuvinated, grateful for a good night's sleep and excited for what lies ahead.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Arrived in PragueArrived in Prague
Arrived in Prague

Sophia at Prague International Arrivals
Hockey LionsHockey Lions
Hockey Lions

Sophia with the Beroun Hockey School Lion


27th March 2014

There must be some technical problem...
First posting for a hockey team, on the road in the Czech Republic and not one mention of beer. Must be a truncated posting. Have fun Sofie!
30th March 2014

no beer for the ice fernz
Yeah, I know! There is a no drinking policy for the team during training camp and tournament, so despite having an Urquell percolating as homebrew back in NZ, I can't even try the real thing while I'm here! It sucks, but only a month of sacrifice before I return to beer-league hockey!

Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 16; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0705s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb