Trip to Korcula


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia
June 16th 2011
Published: June 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

A Bus and Boat tour to Peljesac and Korcula was again an United Nations wonderful day. With various nationalities on board. Ston the main city of Peljesac has a Medieval stone wall (14 th century) reputedly the largest in Europe, 5.5 kilometre long and no, no walking this one. It also has the oldest salt gaining production of the world but seeing the only half an hour time we had, we missed that and had a very important coffee instead. Passing it later on we saw it is the same way done as we do in Australia. The water flows over the land and the sun dries it out and there is the salt. The Adriatic is very salty. Peljesac is also the wine producing area since ancient times. The promise was that on the way back we would have a wine tasting session. We looked forward to that. The Island of Korcula can only be reached by boat, we did this by water taxi. It only takes 20 minutes to get there. It is the birth place of Marco Polo. A sour point, what really happened, indeed he was born there but at that time Korcula was under Venice rule. His father took him back with him, when he was a young child. The Croatian s say he was born in Croatia. It is a very picturesque Island and beautiful place to take photos. It has theese little streets with balconies overhead that makes it so interesting. We had two hours to spent there that included a lunch. Not that much time that is what you have taking tours. The water taxi took us back to Peljesac. There was more wind that caused some splashes but nobody was sea sick. The winery was next. They do produce some very nice wines and we had the privilege of sampling the nectar. A nice liqueur was on offer as well. Most of the Ladies, I was the only male and all the time out voted bought a few bottles. We also bought some, always nice to have a little sip before bedtime. The mini bus took us back to the starting place. On an outing like this there is a bonding between the other travellers. Special when the company is good. We said our good bye's to the others. It had been a very nice day again. Bye for now Liz & Allan.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.026s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb