Bol, Brac and Hvar


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia
October 6th 2010
Published: October 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

This morning we drove into Makarska and caught a chartered boat called Calypso to the Islands of Hvar and Brac. Luckily, the weather had changed and it is very warm and the water was calm. We were both very worried about getting sea sick. The boat was beautiful and full of people from many different countries. It's funny; after hearing so many different languages, we didn't recognize when someone next to us was speaking English.
Our first stop was Jelsa on the island of Hvar. We only had an hour to wander here. One of the photos you will see is what the water looked like after they dumped the toilet into the port! Gross! The church and the park in the photos is from this stop. In the church, Gina noticed that we were standing on cripts, which made up the entire foundation. They were each marked with Roman numerals, but we don't know what they meant. Gina got a little "creeped out" by that.
When we returned to the boat, we were served lunch. Cara and Gina were the only ones brave enough to have the fish. It was a whole fish; head to tail; eyes and all...it was very good! Dad had the chicken...boring.
Our next destination was the island of Brac, where Bol is. This island, according to Marina, our host, is the most famous beach in Croatia. We knew why when we got there. The beach was white, but not sandy. It was compiled of white smooth stones. It stretches out in a triangle into the Adriatic and depending on the season the shape and direction of the triangle changes. The biggest disappointment was that we hadn't thought to bring our bathing suits and the water was beautiful and warm.
At the end of the day we boarded the boat, tired and ready to rest our feet.
Once we were on the boat we took seats on the top deck so we could take in the panoramic view of Brac. We got to see many tiny villages and vineyards. Then they started playing the most awful Croatian elevator music. It was like Kenny G on steroids. Gina was freezing and Dad was about ready to jump overboard from the music so we headed to the lower deck out of the wind. Lucky we did! We saw a dolphin! Gina can mark that off her list of things to do now. The boat docked and as we were exiting we were subjected once again to disco, except this was a speeecial disco.... it was just chicken and rooster noises. Thank you Calypso!


Additional photos below
Photos: 150, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



9th October 2010

Such beauty!
Thanks for sharing your photos...feel like I am traveling!
14th October 2010
Makarska

Beautiful!
14th October 2010
Bol 038

My gosh... that water... makes me wanna get naked ;)
14th October 2010
Bol 173

Wow! Incredible!
23rd December 2010

cool
what a cool trip, looked like allot of fun

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0213s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb