Croatia Sailing - Week 1


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia
May 16th 2009
Published: November 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 1: Omis
Pax for dinner: 19 (bbq)

(If we ever start selling rafting again) ... It's important to collect rafting money the night we arrive in Omis, (before Neno arrives) because I didn't collect it until the morning before we were about to leave and four girls backed out at the last minute, which was a problem for Neno because he had hired an extra boat and skipper and we didn't end up needing them. If we collect money first, the pax probably won't back out.
Just a quick word about rafting: I hope we can sort out the issues eventually because it was one of the biggest highlights for the 8 people who did it. I think it's really good to have an adventure sport excursion (whether it's in Omis or elsewhere), since the majority of the tour consists of lying down, eating and drinking and it's really nice for the pax to be active for a change.

Day 2: Makarska
Pax for dinner: 19 at Susvid

Marineta is a very hit-or-miss bar. On this night we were given free shooters and service was good (in contrast to the experience on my next tour). Also, they give guides free drinks only sometimes, and it's a little awkward to not know whether we're supposed to pay or not. It's not very consistent, which is a shame as it's a fun bar.

Day 3: Bol
Pax for dinner: everyone did their own
thing for dinner.

No comments; Bol is lovely and everyone was happy and found good restaurants that I can now recommend.

Day 4: Hvar
Pax for dinner: 17 for picnic (the other 2 joined us but didn't have money for picnic)

Hvar was everyone's highlight, and I wish it had been our first stop because everyone finally bonded here! Great night at Kiva bar... Sasa gave us lots of free drinks because he felt guilty that the bar was empty except for us. He is a great contact (and sexy too) 😉

Day 5: Korcula
Pax for dinner: 19 at Caenazzo

Many on this tour were very strapped for cash, and on this night I think they all felt that they would rather buy food from a supermarket. It's important to emphasize that they shouldn't feel obliged to eat dinner with the group if they don't want to (that said, Caenazzo is quite reasonably priced and some in this group were just particularly cheap).

Day 6: Mljet
Pax for dinner: 13 for Captain's Dinner (goes back to the cheap thing)

Captain's dinner was fantastic and I have been spoiled on the Ika... It's got such a fantastic crew and any guides/pax are lucky to be on it. The cook, Momma, and the two crew members had drinks with us after dinner and we danced and sang and I bought a bottle of sljivovica to pass around. This was the best night of the tour, definitely.

Day 7: Dubrovnik
Pax for dinner: 19 at Coliseum restaurant

The wall walk is extremely hot and my pax were like zombies at the end of it. I think it's important to leave them plenty of time afterwards to swim and recover before heading out for the night.

I think it would be great if we could sort out the kayaking excursion here because, as I mentioned earlier, I think we're missing a bit of activity and some people are looking to be more active. Since there are no bike tours or anything, it would be nice to offer them something other than just the restaurants and bars. When we did the kayaking on the training trip it was my absolute highlight of Dubrovnik and I think pax would love it. In my opinion,I realize the wall walk is kind of a necessary part of Dubrovnik, but it's not actually that fun in practice because it's so hot; it would be cool to give pax both options, rather than just assume they all want to do the walls.

One more thing: some people are really freaked out about the Aussie girl who was killed after partying at Fuego. 3 of my pax were slightly appalled that we bring our tours there and they went home for the night. They totally overreacted, of course, but I do think it'd be worthwhile for us guides to learn the details of that case so that we can quash any worries and speculations our pax might have.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0218s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb