Croatia


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia
September 16th 2007
Published: September 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


CroatiaCroatiaCroatia

The train to Zagreb went through the Austrian and Slovakian Alps.
Hey guys,

Sorry about the delay. After I finished my summer language course, I went traveling with some friends of mine from the program. During that time I didn't have my laptop and was just checking email out of internet cafes. I'm back in Munich now, and I'll attempt to fill you guys in on my more or less five week trip through Eastern Europe.

My first stop was Croatia. Matt, Mark, Kris, and I took a train from Munich to Zagreb (the capital of Croatia). That night we hung out in town and ended up sleeping in the airport to save money. The following day we flew to Split, a tourist town in the middle of the country, and then took a bus to Brela. Brela is a small town on the beautiful Adriatic coast that was rated the number six beach in the world last year. We found a great deal on a bed and breakfast there that was run by Annette and her Croatian-American family. She, along with her husband and three kids run the guesthouse during the summer and live in California the rest of the year. We stayed there for two weeks and got to know the family pretty well. Matteo, her six year old son, was a constant source of entertainment, and we played many games of monopoly, sorry, and badminton with him and his two sisters. We also had plenty of opportunities to practice our German, as there were several Swiss guests and a few Germans staying there at the same time as us.

The typical Brela day consisted of waking up and walking to the market to get fig pastries and prosciutto (a source of national pride for the Croatians) for breakfast before visiting the vegetable lady to buy fruit for lunch. We would then hit the beach for several hours and either play our own hybrid of water polo and ultimate frisbee, jump off the rocks/cliffs that line the coast, or just lay out. At night we would usually cook dinner and hang out with other guests or with Annette and her family.

After we left Brela, we headed back to Zagreb for two days to enjoy the sights before catching a train back to Munich.



Stay tuned for the next installment of my trip: Hungary


Additional photos below
Photos: 63, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

CroatiaCroatia
Croatia

Slovakian countryside
CroatiaCroatia
Croatia

Croatian countryside
CroatiaCroatia
Croatia

Outside the Zagreb train station
CroatiaCroatia
Croatia

Park in Zagreb
CroatiaCroatia
Croatia

Sleeping in airport
CroatiaCroatia
Croatia

Kris made himself at home
CroatiaCroatia
Croatia

Cruise ships at Split
CroatiaCroatia
Croatia

On the bus to Brela
CroatiaCroatia
Croatia

Mountains on the coast
CroatiaCroatia
Croatia

We had to walk about a mile from the bus stop to our guesthouse, and we didn't have a map. I improvised and just took pictures of the map at the bus stop.
CroatiaCroatia
Croatia

Hiking...
CroatiaCroatia
Croatia

Overlooking the cove
CroatiaCroatia
Croatia

Overlooking the cove
CroatiaCroatia
Croatia

Overlooking the cove
CroatiaCroatia
Croatia

Matt's glad to finally be there


16th September 2007

Wow
Croatia is beautiful! What a great trip you are having. How come we only have time for really wonderful trips either when we are in school or when we retire??? Donna says to take notes so that you can take us there when we're really old.

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0358s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb